precipitation of gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicke

Hi.
Is it possible to heat the dissolved gold to make it decompose into pure gold at 254°C?
Or pour sodium hydroxide in the solution instead to make gold oxide that at lower temperatures decomposes into gold?
Do anyone know how and if this will work?
Thanks

You're about to unleash the whirlwind with questions like that on this forum. <g>

1) "Dissolved" in what? aqua regia, cyanide, etc?

2) Have you heard of "precipitation"?

1 yes i ment AR wjen it is in the gold(3)chloride stage. i tried to download the book before but i only have my phone and it didnt work then but ill try again.
2 yes but am i wrong about what it means? My english might not be so good so corrections is welcome :)
Thanks.

There is at all not much sense in what you are asking, so I am convinced there is not much sense in what you believe to know. Follow the advices, solve your problem with your Nokia first or find a pc to print all you need. Do so and you will have a nice time here. Just my two cents.

I would strongly advise you to follow what your been told.
The problem with lye or caustic soda is it will precipitate all metals from solution, it's not selective.

Okay.
I have some batches that is only gold on ceramic pieces, so that was the idea when i do them i culd just heat it after to have the gold ready for next refining.

What colour is your gold solution? Has the solder under the dies completely dissolved and the dies are gone off? There are definately no base metals left? Have you tested with stannous? To be sure, you can put the batch into AR again and use only 1ml nitric to start with, test this again, it should be negative.

Then store all liquids safely, don't through the ceramics away, just to be sure.

Then read first.

Yes it is only gold i havent done in a while now but the AR/Gold solution is orange. I have not done a test on it. But i have a bunch that i am thinking of doing soon when i get more chemicals.

Pure gold solution is yellow. You can go on, what you are doing and learn it the hard way, lose values, burn fingers, produce a lot of garbage you haven't got a clue, what to do with it - or you can start listen. Don't buy anything, don't process anything - until you have done your lessons. So far from my side.

Okay it was a while ago i did it have done alot so i looked at some old pictures and it is actualy yellow.

Attachments

• 20131110_122309_2433.jpg
    20131110_122309_2433.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 594
Have you tested it? or anything to see where your gold is?
Have you read and learned what to properly do next so you get gold in hand?

You asked a question which could or not work but will need rerefinning so why not do it right the first time?

Do what makes cents

B.S.

I have made alot already but tje chemicals are ecpensive so just to heat it wuld be easier fore me i have made a furnace that hanldes over 1200°C

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-10-09-35-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-10-09-35-11.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 560
Why work hard? of course gold will come out but
you'll have gases, chlorine and nitrogen dioxide
among other garbage

I definately need more gold for red/orange...
Do you not lose gold if it's a chloride and heated to gas of? Does it not go up in vapor form?

You need to drop it out of solution before you incinerate or try to melt it so it does not go up in fumes?

B.S.

butcher said:
Gold chloride solution is yellow, when concentrated it can look orange or even look kind of red orange.

If you concentrate it enough it can look black!

goldsilverpro said:
goldenchild said:
butcher said:
Gold chloride solution is yellow, when concentrated it can look orange or even look kind of red orange.

If you concentrate it enough it can look black!
Not that I've ever seen.

I remember Harold's post where he said he concentrated 18 ounces into 1 liter. I'm willing to bet that came out to look almost black. I've done it before with an 8 ounce lot. That is, 8 ounces of fine gold in chloride form concentrated. It goes from the familiar bright yellow to orange to maroon/red and then finally to a brownish black. Here is his post. I'd be curious to see what he says about the appearance.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3...19683&hilit=ounces+concentrate+ounces#p119683

Latest posts

Back