precipitation of gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I will address the original question about raising the solution temperature to 250 C to precipitate the gold.
You need to understand that unless you have a very specialized high pressure vessel this is physically impossible to do. The thermodynamics of solutions will make it so that once you reach the boiling point of the solution the evaporation of the water will cool the solution and as long as long as liquid water present, the solution will not get any hotter than the boiling point. You can only raise the temperature of solutions above the boiling point by enclosing them in a pressure vessel which prevents boiling.
The pressure vessel would need to be extremely strong to withstand the temperature of 250 C and if it failed at that temperature you would an explosion like a stick or two of dynamite.

Thanks. i did acually try it with good result. I dryed it and then just heated it with a torch and left was flakes, lumps and powder.
It is easy for me to do this with that ceramics i mentioned earlier when it is pure already.

goldsilverpro said:
goldenchild said:
butcher said:
Gold chloride solution is yellow, when concentrated it can look orange or even look kind of red orange.

If you concentrate it enough it can look black!
Not that I've ever seen.

Agreed. :lol: Black would more likely suggest things other than gold in there.

In my very early attempts at refining, I was not confident enough to use a real precipitant and just cemented on copper. After numerous refining's, I would end up with 99% gold. This was just cementing on copper. I found that when the gold fell freely from the copper without sticking to the copper, the purer it was. If a person was not concerned over excessive waste or could reclaim everything, cementing on copper is a great way of concentrating gold for further refining. You can pretty much dump whatever in a large container and dissolve all metal in AR and then neutralize the free nitric and cement all values out using copper.

Geo said:
In my very early attempts at refining, I was not confident enough to use a real precipitant and just cemented on copper. After numerous refining's, I would end up with 99% gold. This was just cementing on copper. I found that when the gold fell freely from the copper without sticking to the copper, the purer it was. If a person was not concerned over excessive waste or could reclaim everything, cementing on copper is a great way of concentrating gold for further refining. You can pretty much dump whatever in a large container and dissolve all metal in AR and then neutralize the free nitric and cement all values out using copper.

Has anyone tryed this on thio leach? prob the one thing I havnt yet.. Got a stubborn batch droppin slow..I'll try in the a.m. and let ya know..

From my understanding, ferrous sulfate will precipitate the gold from thiosulfate leach. As of yet I haven't been able to test it for myself but that's what I will try on my first attempt.

spaceships said:
goldsilverpro said:
goldenchild said:
butcher said:
Gold chloride solution is yellow, when concentrated it can look orange or even look kind of red orange.

If you concentrate it enough it can look black!
Not that I've ever seen.

Agreed. :lol: Black would more likely suggest things other than gold in there.

Nah. After rehydrating and precipitation the barren solution was crystal clear and the gold was .999+ I did this lot for a jeweler and he showed me the assay. But whatever. If it's not possible to be black then it's not.

Hey guys, just a quick verification i have 5 oz of calaverite. 175 ml refined to powder. Assuming 40% of this mineral is gold content. Should i mix 175 ml of smb or 40% to match the value of estimated gold yield....

You are making things difficult with your jumping from thread to thread or category to category.
You would make things easier for you to see all responses, and for those to answer your questions to keep it all in one place.

Jim

Please stop jumping from thread to thread with essentially the same questions. It confuses members. Put all your questions regarding the telluride ores to a single thread. Your questions will be answered.

I do have one question. Have you put your questions to any of the mining forums that are readily available?

I agree put all of you questions about this ore in one topic, in the mining section, I have tried to move a few of your posts, which is very difficult for me, and with so many of the same questions posted all over the forum, it will be easier or me to just start deleting all of them).

Also You need to spend some time studying, many of these very simple questions will be easily answered in that study, most of what you asked so far the answer is (NO it will not work that way), by spending a little time studying you can easily see that, and will be able to ask more intelligent questions that may get you closer to recovering your gold from that ore.

I do not even bother to answer such simple basic questions, that have already been answered thousands of times, especially if they are easily answered by just a little bit of study, if you do not have time to study, well then, I also do not have time to repeat the same old simple answer another thousand times.

Latest posts

Back