Prevent copper begin attack in cyanide solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franciz

What is the best way to prevent copper being attacked in cyanide solution and could easily precipitate the gold?

Franciz said:
What is the best way to prevent copper being attacked in cyanide solution and could easily precipitate the gold?
A great deal depends on what you are processing. In ores, copper is not dissolved simply by keeping the free cyanide levels very low---about .02%, if memory serves. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Harold

Dear harold,
I am stripping gold pin and plated item in solution of 20g M-nbss and 30g NaCN..
Thank you harold for your kind reply.....

Kind regs
Francis

You will attack the copper, somewhat, when using m-NBSS and cyanide and there's not much you can do about it. Just try to minimize it. For example, don't let the parts dwell in the solution after the stripping is finished. That solution will dissolve the nickel barrier plating and expose the copper, if given enough time. So, try to get the parts in and out quickly. Are you heating the solution?

Agitation of the parts will speed things up and it can reduce the copper attack. A common way is to put the parts in a plastic mesh basket and bob it up and down in the solution until stripping is complete. You can run a few batches of parts in the same solution before zincing.

In the patent literature, there are things you can add to this solution to prevent attack on the copper. However, these additions make recovery of the gold from the solution very difficult (zincing or electrolytic recovery will no longer work well) and somewhat dangerous.

goldsilverpro said:
You will attack the copper, somewhat, when using m-NBSS and cyanide and there's not much you can do about it. Just try to minimize it. For example, don't let the parts dwell in the solution after the stripping is finished. That solution will dissolve the nickel barrier plating and expose the copper, if given enough time. So, try to get the parts in and out quickly. Are you heating the solution?

Agitation of the parts will speed things up and it can reduce the copper attack. A common way is to put the parts in a plastic mesh basket and bob it up and down in the solution until stripping is complete. You can run a few batches of parts in the same solution before zincing.

In the patent literature, there are things you can add to this solution to prevent attack on the copper. However, these additions make recovery of the gold from the solution very difficult (zincing or electrolytic recovery will no longer work well) and somewhat dangerous.

OK, I have learn from you. The best way is to dip in the solution and quickly bring it out once the gold is all dissolved.

Thanks again Master Chris.
Francis

Latest posts

Back