Printer Friendly Copy of Hoke's Book

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd,

Thanks for posting about the problems you ran into. I hope it will help if anyone else runs into similar issues.

butcher, I know you love your little gray hard bound copy. I like mine as well. But it's too valuable to me to risk taking it out to the lab. So I keep the hardbound copy in the house and use one of my self-printed copies when I'm refining. If I ever have a spill or damage it, I can just reprint the damaged pages.

I'm glad to see so many members have downloaded it. And once again, remember that I wouldn't have taken this project on if it hadn't been for Rusty's work in making the original digital copy available.

Dave

Since one of my previous lives I worked in the printing business I thought I'd share a quick and simple way to bind a book like this.

I printed my copy on both sides as suggested and then folded each printed sheet, (4 book pages per sheet), in half.

Then stack them in order, line them up neatly and using peices of wood or small angled metal, clamp them tightly with C-clamps or such.

Turn it up on the side with the spine up, then coat the spine edge with wood glue, (Elmers, or whatever you have), let dry and coat again. 3 coats is plenty.

If you want to get real fancy you can add a cover later out of heavy card type paper.

Here is mine all glued up and ready for reading.

rickbb said:
I printed my copy on both sides as suggested and then folded each printed sheet, (4 book pages per sheet), in half.

Then stack them in order, line them up neatly and using peices of wood or small angled metal, clamp them tightly with C-clamps or such.

Ok, I don't get it. Can You post a pic of your book, opened up?

rickbb said:
Since one of my previous lives I worked in the printing business I thought I'd share a quick and simple way to bind a book like this.

Turn it up on the side with the spine up, then coat the spine edge with wood glue, (Elmers, or whatever you have), let dry and coat again. 3 coats is plenty.

If you want to get real fancy you can add a cover later out of heavy card type paper.

Here is mine all glued up and ready for reading.

Nice job, thanks for sharing.

@Andy, here are a couple more pics, one opened, and one with it clamped up like you would for guleing.

You don't have to clamp it, you can put the spine at the edge of a table and put a peice of wood with weights, (bricks, etc.) on top. You have to use thiner and more coats of glue that way, it will drip off.

You need it pressed tight to keep the glue from getting inbetween the pages making it hard to open. The glue dries to a thick rubber like coating holding it together. Hope this helps.

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1450.jpg

Yes, upside down. That's the first thing I noticed when it came out but rather than waste all the paper reprinting it, I just move to the other side of the table when I read it. :|
Maybe someday when I have more time, and more paper, I will do it right. I think the download if fine, other than the first few pages were out of order. The problem, I believe, is with my printer. I recently moved it to the other side of my desk and I had to turn it around to get it to fit right. Now everything prints upside down. It gets annoying sometimes but I am getting used to it. :roll:

Frugal,
Thank you for your effort, this is a great resource. I don't like reading on a computer screen, I much prefer to have a physical book to hold. Thanks again!

Frugal, I'd also like to give my thanks for putting this print-friendly version together. I'm going to head over to Staples tomorrow and see if they can print a copy for me (they do binding too). I'll post back with the price and quality in case anyone else is interested.

Well, it took a little longer than I expected to get to Staples, but finally got a copy of Hoke printed and bound using the PDF at the beginning of this thread. All in all it cost around $30 and 30 minutes of my time, and it came out very well. It would have taken less time if I had Staples cut the pages, but their online interface wasn't exactly clear on if the cut would be the one I wanted. If anyone is interested I can post the settings I used to get the pages to print properly. Here are the results:

Attachments

• P5290100.jpg
    P5290100.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 407
  • P5290099.jpg
    P5290099.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 407
I had a friend print mine out and I folded them and put them together, but didn't want to risk ruining it by trying to bind it myself, so I took it to Office Max. They did it for under $5.00 ! Thanks again for this version!

Attachments

• ebay4 002.jpg
    ebay4 002.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 391
Well I've finally finished the book. Boy was it a chore. I had a really hard time backing the spine of the book, but it does lay open flat so I guess I did something right :). I had to use paper for the cover, but used laminated cardstock for the boards. The next time I make a book, it will definitely have a cloth cover....paper doesn't stretch too well. Anyway I've included some pictures, let me know what you think.

Rusty

Attachments

• DSC00086.JPG
    DSC00086.JPG
    898.6 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    901.5 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    805.9 KB · Views: 355
I was thinking of offering a printing service for the hard bound book for the cost of materials and shipping. But I don't know...the size of the book is basically letter size paper folded in half.

Rusty

I got my book today Rusty, impressive work you did on it, looks like the real deal except for the pages not being cut perfect like the big boys do it. Definitely better than what I was expecting. I'll put some pic's up later.

Thanks again,

Steve

Smack said:
I got my book today Rusty, impressive work you did on it, looks like the real deal except for the pages not being cut perfect like the big boys do it. Definitely better than what I was expecting. I'll put some pic's up later.

Thanks again,

Steve
I'm glad that you liked it Steve. I don't have a guillotine cutter like the big boys. I found that having the uncut pages like I gave it is a more rustic look to it. I'm thinking, after a suggestion from a friend, to offer a binding service to anyone who has pdf's or whatever to be hardbound. Looking into binding with cloth or leather hardcovers.

Rusty

The pictures

Attachments

• DSC00676.JPG
    DSC00676.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00675.JPG
    DSC00675.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00674.JPG
    DSC00674.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 282