Problem HCL/CL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nthawk52

I think I just really messed up!!!!! While using this method, I put in 100ml of hcl and the over zealously put in (in small increments) about 45ml of cl. It is bubbling and gassing... what are my expectations of consequence?
I then added about 50ml h2o. The reaction has slowed WAY down but still gassing.

I was using 111 glucose test strips with gold all over them for the circuitry on plastic.
the gold all went into the solution and I filtered it off in a new jar. It is a merky kind of yellow and when stirred it still off-gasses a little. Now I've put it on gentile heat and waiting.......

Attachments

• DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    3.7 MB
Hi there,

All I can see is a yellow with greenish tint solution in a beaker, what would you want me (us) to think about it ?
i can't see any hcl/cl/h2O or gold in it, however it would be easy for you to know, Test it !!
If there is gold in your solution ,make sure you let the chlorine evaporate (you can test that also) before trying to precipitate it.

Pat

Hi Pattt... the pic is the mess i created with too much cl in the hcl...i filtered out the plastic strips and thats what i have left...
should i wait until all the chlorine is gone before testing?

Hi nthawk52,

Let me first say I am a newbie too, I never worked with the strips, so I don't know what else could be in your solution (the gold was probably plated on some other metal,), but as long they ( the plastics ) did not dissolve and the only thing is you added to much sodium hypochlorite, I dont think its a big mess, keep it on Low heat for some time or let it stand in the sun or overnight, that will evaporate the CL,
if you have ammonia in the house, fill the cap ( half ) with ammonia and hold it above your solution,(Don't drop it in !! ) it will give a white cloud ( smoke ) when there is still CL in your solution.
I don't know for sure if CL in your solution will affect a stannous test , but I think it could, I am sure someone will answer that.

But we have been asked to direct newbies with "easy" questions to the searchbox, do the searching , studie Hoke's, read the : http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=796
Show us you want to do the works :mrgreen:
Its not always easy , but always fun, to do the searching and the learning :lol:
Hope I was of any help and let us know how things go......

Pat

Ok,don't keep it on the heat all night !!
And better heat it in a safety "catch" pan, put your beaker in a pan ( pot ), if your glass beaker breaks from heating, your ( gold ) solution ends up in the "catch pot"

Pat

No worries... it is on barely warm...just beyond "luke warm" if you know what I mean....
I WILL take it off the after giving up for the night, LOL....
Sure hope this will work...
You think adding some distilled water would help in repairing this??????

Just be patience , as far as I can see there is nothing really to repair, you always have to evaporate the chlorine gas,
if you over added CL you gonna have to let it stand longer to evaporate, you should test!! and see when its ready, then test with stannous, and drop.
test again, do the washes and do a second refining, one other thing I do hope that 111 strips produces any weight, don't think it will be grams.

did I mention to read Hoke's :mrgreen:

Pat

If I read Hoke's AGAIN, I'll probably start committing it to memory!
I have a real hard time with patience, except for fishing. Guess I should think I'm fishing for gold.........
If you want, I'll keep you up-dated with the progression of this......

nthawk52 said:
Not a problem, it's outside with a fan blowing on it... stuff is lethal, I know.
I hope I'm not downwind of you!

Releasing stuff you know is lethal into the atmosphere is just like pouring your untreated toxic waste down the drain to me. Treat your fumes. Treat your waste.

Dave

Hello
I hope everyone is good in the head today

I really would like to add one simple suggestion
And hope others pick it up as a better way

I have found to test for chlorine you do not need
To do more than remove the cap of the ammonia
Container when it is sitting next to your hcl/bleach
container .
I have had good results up to 3' away
When done while heating your hcl/bleach it is
Much more visual but works also when cold

I hope this saves the 100's of spills on your hands
Or in your solution that are bound to happen.
thanks steyr223 rob

nthawk52

I'm in the same boat now, 2 weeks later and still no drop with a very purple test. I forgot to remember that sunlight destroys CL so I'll be putting it outside. Don't add anything untill you feel all the CL has dissepated.

Well ventilated, my swimming pool gives off way more CL gas when I shock it then anything I've done. Except in concentrations like leaving my shed door open when I uncap the HCL bottle. Do Not breath at all and run out the door shutting it behind you. I have nice ventalation with a fan blowing fresh air in 1 window and out my work space window. I only work with HCL and bleach but I'm still working on something better.

I know my gold's still there but it's driving me bonkers waiting. I broke alot of fingers last night while waiting and read more of the forum helps.

B.S.
...I will help anyone who apreciate it by learning...

my "new" batch (224 strips) put in measured amounts of hcl/cl and left overnight has given me a bright yellow clear liquid and stannous shows nothing! where did the gold go??????????

Latest posts

Back