Problem HCL/CL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Thanks Steyr for your added info,indeed a nearly empty cap ammonia will show the white fumes.
nthawk, did you test your stannous?

Pat

No, Pat I haven't. I don't have a known positive to test the stannous, but am working on that for the sake of knowing I've got viable solution. My batches are still off gassing fairly strong, so I'm going to have to wait it out and explore other ideas. I don't quit very easily, so I'm in this until the end!

Make shift stannous test to be sure it's good.
1 drop HCL on a gold foil. bleach on a Q-tip rub foil untill it dissolves.
Once it starts dissolving, take a clean Q-tip and rub as much liquid as you can into the tip. Now dip in stannous and see if it changes color, if even slightly or quickly dissapears.
A brain fart and I had this idea to test.
It should be enough to dissolve some gold and show some kind of color change.

B.S.
Try it and let me know if it works...

Pantherlikher said:
Make shift stannous test to be sure it's good.
1 drop HCL on a gold foil. bleach on a Q-tip rub foil untill it dissolves.
Once it starts dissolving, take a clean Q-tip and rub as much liquid as you can into the tip. Now dip in stannous and see if it changes color, if even slightly or quickly dissapears.
A brain fart and I had this idea to test.
It should be enough to dissolve some gold and show some kind of color change.

B.S.
Try it and let me know if it works...
The one thing you must be careful to avoid is the presence of excess chlorine, or if you dissolve with nitric/HCl, excess nitric. It often interrupts the reaction with stannous chloride, giving a false reading. You're very best served by making a proper supply of standard solution, one which you know to be free of those problems. That's really the reliable way to test your stannous chloride, for, otherwise, you don't know why it may not be working properly. You can do that by dissolving a couple grains of gold, evaporating, then diluting to a couple fluid ounces. Do a test with some fresh made stannous chloride, so you'll know what the proper reaction looks like for your standard solution.

Harold

Patience pays. I went to the shed and found really nice brown to orange sponge in the container I've waited almost 2 weeks for.

nthawk52
You said you put measured amounts of HCL+ bleach. This can make problems. cover the material with HCL and only add alittle bleach and wait. At first, it dissolves like crazy but then seems to stop. It doesn't but goes slowly, prompting you to add more bleach.

Just be careful with exact measurements. It's a great guide but you should add bleach slowly and wait. This was my problem except I splashed way to much in when adding alittle more bleach which caused me the problem.
B.S.
And as always, watch the waste. It can sneak up quickly and become a bigger problem.

nthawk52 said:
Batch 1 & 2 are an epic FAIL!!!!! 3rd time may be the charm........

You only fail epically if you throw it out. Have you followed any advise and gotten proper testing solution? Or done more reading to let the whole process sink in so you don't have problems?...

B.S.
...Even falure is good as you learn how Not to do it...

Panther, Yes I have read until my eyes bled, and have researched, and continue to do both. I now have a standard solution so I know my Stannus is O.K.... I'll keep trying and LEARNING as I go.

Latest posts

Back