Problem when precipitate silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagus

Hi,

Recently I've tried 2 batch of silver watch batteries refinery based on Juan's PDF instruction. The problem is I think my silver still left in the solution. According to Juan's PDF, from 1kg silver watch batteries I can get around 300-350grams silver. What I get from my 2 previous batch are:

422grams silver watch batteries : 50.02grams silver
1kg silver watch batteries : 39.8grams silver

I think I did something wrong in precipitate the silver from the silver nitrate solution.

My questions are:
1. I precipitate the silver using table salt, Is there any chance the silver chloride dissolved again after I precipitate it using table salt? The color of the solution turn into brown (dark yellow) when I stir the solution after I add the table salt. (I forget to take a pic)

2. can I precipitate the silver using copper? I believe there is excess nitric in the solution (I use 4ltr Nitric acid for 1kg silver battery ), will it dissolve the copper before the silver precipitate?

here is the remaining solution after I precipitate the silver using table salt:
solution.jpg

Bagus

once you ppt silver as chloride it is very unlikely that it will dissolve back.
when adding salt you actually make the solution "like" AR therfore the color change, maybe some other metals react to the salt by changing color...

my guess is that you simply have much less silver then you thought.

baguskd said:
Hi,

Recently I've tried 2 batch of silver watch batteries refinery based on Juan's PDF instruction. The problem is I think my silver still left in the solution. According to Juan's PDF, from 1kg silver watch batteries I can get around 300-350grams silver. What I get from my 2 previous batch are:

I think I did something wrong in precipitate the silver from the silver nitrate solution.

My questions are:
1. I precipitate the silver using table salt, Is there any chance the silver chloride dissolved again after I precipitate it using table salt? The color of the solution turn into brown (dark yellow) when I stir the solution after I add the table salt. (I forget to take a pic)

2. can I precipitate the silver using copper? I believe there is excess nitric in the solution (I use 4ltr Nitric acid for 1kg silver battery ), will it dissolve the copper before the silver precipitate?

Bagus
i'm just curious - i want to eventually begin recovering silver - did you use IODIZED table salt or non-iodized, such as canning or kosher salt?

dtectr said:
baguskd said:
Hi,

My questions are:

Bagus
i'm just curious - i want to eventually begin recovering silver - did you use IODIZED table salt or non-iodized, such as canning or kosher salt?

If you already have a copy please take the time to read, if not grab a copy of Hoke's here at this link. She covers all the precious metals.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2815953/Refining-Precious-Metal-Wastes-C1-M-Hoke

gustavus said:
dtectr said:
baguskd said:
Hi,

My questions are:

Bagus

If you already have a copy please take the time to read, if not grab a copy of Hoke's here at this link. She covers all the precious metals.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/2815953/Refining-Precious-Metal-Wastes-C1-M-Hoke

yep, got it & read it. i was asking what YOU used - sorry for the confusion.
jordan

dtectr said:
yep, got it & read it. i was asking what YOU used - sorry for the confusion.
jordan

i'm using plain old 31% HCL to ppt silver chloride.
once the addition of HCL stop froming the "cottage cheese" (and insted it is forming a yellow reaction, i'm guessing it's dissolved NO2) i know i'm done with it.

Latest posts

Back