Processing MLCCs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjgraham

Hi, I have recently collected about 2 kg of MLCCs, I am pre-planning . I have watched Sam's videos and some other threads on here and I am wondering about a few steps, mainly after the HCL boil, if you incinerate the parts and just put them in straight nitric to get the silver and palladium if you could cement it back out with copper then melt, use a silver cell for the silver then basically jump back into the AR step with the slimes and go from there to recover the palladium. I read that often we want to avoid silver chloride, my only issue that I can see that I would have is I need silver for the cell. I have not done anything with silver (or palladium ) or nitric so I am reading and trying to avoid a mess. As always I guess that there are many routes and I know the way I have read and watched works .

After reading for a while I think someone suggested dropping Pd with DMG in the nitric then cement the silver,after filtering of course, maybe I have found my own answer..

Yea they have been soldered in the past, my plan was to put them in HCl to remove solder then incinerate them before moving to nitric, seems each route creates different extra steps after reading more after posting the first message, I may have not needed to even ask.

You could use dilute HCl solution (50/50) and wram it just a bit to dissolve outer layer of Tin and nickel.
The point in this step is not to disintegrate the ceramic structure, like boiling in concentrated HCl would.

Then wash several times with water and move on to dilute nitric (boiling). It takes longer to disintegrate the ceramic structure then conc' HCl, but works.
This have an advantage of taking up both Pd and Ag (and sometimes Pt) in solution. Later cement all with copper or remove Pd first with DMG.

I will make another video tutorial for that one, sometime soon.

Sounds good, I enjoy watching your videos, I am still a little ways off on this process, however what is the ratio of DMG to output (1g for 1g) I have been searching, I thought I found a post the other day that had it in a 1M NaOH solution with all sorts of numbers but I can't find it again of course.

Here you go:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9477&p=92034&hilit=palladium#p92034

Latest posts

Back