Pumpkin Pie

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonn

I have a Pumpkin colored precipitate, here's what I did.
1. Nitric bath to broken bits of 386, 486, Cyrix and other ceramic CPU
2. Remove Nitric and filter
3. Take nitric solution and add HCL
4. Filter out silver chloride
5. Take nitric solution and add clean copper bits, (fine strand copper wire cut into 1/2" pieces)
6. Let reaction finish
7. Add clean water to dilute
8. Let settle overnight
9. Result: Pumpkin colored precipitate upon filtering, looks like pumpkin pie.

I can't seem to post pictures from my IPad. Can anyone explain what this is? I have read a post where Lou says it is palladium hexachlorplatinate...... I'm not going to contest that, it probably is. I have never recovered or refined palladium or platinum. I refine the gold and silver only. My stock pot is full now and I would like to get these metals out of solution. I thought that the best way would be to add copper and condense my powders while eliminating copper and everything below it in reactivity. I concluded that the best way to recovery was copper... I am somewhat confused though, shouldn't my precipitate be black?? Thanks in advance folks.

I think it is just iron rust. Take a smaple of the powder and dissolve it in warm HCl and test with SnCl2.

According to you description, I can't think of a source for Pd in your stockpot... (in a meaningful amount)

added

I tend to agree with you Sam. I'm just confused as to why it came down with copper :x and where is the palladium ?
This solution was used to process 3 lbs. Of ceramics. Shouldn't there be some palladium in the nitric solution?

not always. fiber CPU's have more Pd in the form of MLCC's. Pd from ceramic processors may be negligible.

Got it, I forgot about that. Those pd caps are not on the ceramics. Thank you Sam and Geo, you folks are very kind as always.

Latest posts

Back