Purity of Dirty Drops from Aqua Regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notabiker

So lately i've been throwing a bunch of random stuff in my AR pot and my solutions have been coming out Dirty. Scrap cpu's, pins, ribbons, whatever i throw it in and i've gotten back a few dark Black pots.

1. I perform a stannous test, denox, chill, check my ph levels and drop with smb.

I then collect all my blacks sands and junk and boil it in 35% hcl until everythings gone.

I again perform #1. on my pregnant hcl solution.

Out comes the fluffy golden brown gold stuffs i'm used to seeing. I decant and clean with distilled h20.

Since i'm not familiar with dirty solutions what can i expect as far as gold purity without a double and triple refine. Is this 97% or 99% or .999.

Last edited:
Be careful when discarding any insolubles from your AR pot. If your AR uses up the entirety of the free nitric, cementation will begin to force values out of solution. But the solution can still have gold in solution and a positive stannous test while the cementation is slowly progressing. Always assure you have free nitric acid before you filter your acid so you know the values are all in solution.

I have made a lot of money refining residues that were thought to be worthless.

As far as purity from dirty solutions, yes high 90's is possible from a well filtered solution with a single drop.

Awesome, makes my life easier, High 90's are good enough for me from this big lot im doing.
I do filter with free nitric in solution. Perfect answer, thanks

Got the last of my junk out today and gold recovery season is over for me until September. I don't care to store nitric at 120 degree temps in my garage. 8 grams from a half full 2 litre beaker of random junk product. Squeezed out the last drop of my Duda Energy Nitric bottles.

Sold that lil nugget yesterday and under XRF scan it came out 99%AU on the dot with 1 refine and 1 cook, today i was buying ebay rolled and karat scraps, It's like a disease lol and i have a storage locker full of product for next season. Never ending cycle

Latest posts

Back