Pyrex is not borosilicate glass anymore.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMG

Is the purpose of using pyrex glass because it is borosilicate glass?
Also Pyrex brand kitchen glassware manufactured since 1998 (when the brand was spun off under World Kitchen) is made of soda-lime glass[1] (previously, it was made of better quality, thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass).
from wiki soda lime glass

Does it matter much whether the glass containers used are borosilicate or soda lime?

Soda Lime glass has a greater coefficient of expansion than Borosilicate glass and is more likely to break under thermal stress it is also less resistant to chemical attack.

I would imagine that lab ware is still a better quality glass. This is strange.

All good quality lab ware is still a borosilicate glass. Pyrex, Kimax, Schott Duran, and Kimble are all variations.

Try shopping at Good Will. I have been going at least every week. There is a line of Corning Ware that has a small stamp on the bottom that says Range or oven or microwave. No other disclamers. This is all I buy. This stuff is killer. You can take a 10 inch pie plate for evaporation and put a burner full on it. Before use empty I put a burner on it and turned a spot red, the rim was cool.
I found a frying pan with a handle. 7 inch or so. I use it for scorching. Put it on a large gas burner, even put an aluminum ring around it to make sure all the heat went up the sides. Turn the thing up red, no problem. On some pieces the "for use on range or oven" is conspicuously missing. has the same logo etc. I dont touch these yet. I will have to get one and torture it to see if it is the same. You can boil down AR, burn it right in the plate. It all just comes off. :D

Is this the amber colored transparent type CW or the older opaque white ceramic type with a flat bottom? When the amber type first came out, the ads showed them applying a torch to it.

Back