ques about Urea

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndglobal

Hi everyone
I went to the feed & garden store today. They had the hy-yield nitrate of soda 16-0-0 (16% nitrate nitrogen) but looking for urea? I couldn't find any 46-0-0. The highest stuff they had was ammonium nitrate 34-0-0. Its 17% ammoniacal nitrogen & 17% nitrate nitrogen. Will this work or should I keep looking?. The manufacture was Grower's Pride.
Thanks, Don

thanks Steve but that still doesn't tell me if the ammonium nitrate can be used for urea. My concern is because it 17%nitrate nitrogen which is the same as nitrate of soda that says 16%nitrate nitrogen. It just seems very confusing how one would be used to disolve gold and the other one to drop the gold?.
Dredging is harder on the back but alot easier on the mind.(haha)

These are three different chemicals. All three contain nitrogen and all three will make your grass very green. Just because your grass can use any of these doesn't mean you can interchange them. Following the recipe you can do if you are careful, making new compounds can be deadly.

Hehe. I guess I'll try to answer your question.

Keep looking for urea. Nitrates will not work.

Some instant cold packs have urea in them. The ones I've seen list urea on the label. (maybe that would work for you). Urine has urea in it too!!! :)
Urea is a different 'type' of chemical than a nitrate.
I don't know the exact chemical reaction that urea has going on, but I would say nitrates would be useless in getting rid of nitric acid. You would just be adding more nitrates to nitric acid (which is a nitrate itself), which wouldn't do anything.

:idea:
Nitrates can be used to make nitric acid (hydrogen nitrate) though. A chemical reaction with sulfuric acid swaps out the sodium/ammonia in sodium nitrate/ammonium nitrate for hydrogen, making hydrogen nitrate(aka nitric acid)

Hi Don,
Seems funny to me that you found amonium nitrate at all.

When I needed some (for another project) I looked high and low for it, finally had to drive all the way down to Action Mining in Sandy Oregon to purchase some.

If you want to kill nitric without repeated boiling down, you do need the Urea.

And that one is a common lawn fertilizer around here.

The chemical most here use for precipitating the gold is either sodium metabisulfite or just sodium sulfite.
Randy

Thank you very much OMG. That’s what I couldn’t figure out?. When I went to the store, I asked for urea. They showed me three different kinds with numbers like 10-10-10, 20-10-20, etc and they showed me this one. It seemed the purest but the nitrate didn’t make any since. Everyone talks about urea but no one says what urea is?. Even google tells what it is used for, how it is made but nowhere could I find what it is made of (ingredients). I did finally find urea listed 46-0-0 on the internet but their stores are only in the mid-west. I’d love to know what the 46 is exactly. Even on this forum I have seen urea listed as ammonium nitrate. It seems a lot of people on this site is on some kind of an ego trip, trying to impress. Simple questions need simple answers. Not xyz mixed with abc makes xxxx then combined with H and heated to 1000c for 18 mins and then you have NaCoBeGx2. Before someone says it: Yes I am reading Hokes book but its 369 pages and it can get confusing also. I and I’m sure a lot of others here just want simple plain english like 4 cups muratic acid, 1 cup sodium nitrate and you have AR. We got some really smart chemist on here but for us layman its confusing. I bought my first urea, SMB & sodium nitrate from ebay but don’t want to pay them prices every time. Thanks again for your help? PS: why can’t we just use something like baking soda, baking powder, ammonia, vinegar, etc... to raise the PH?. These things are easily available.

Urea is (NH2)2CO. That's what it is. It's common name is urea. That's what it's called. According to wikipedia, other names for urea are hydroxyurea, hydroxycarbamide, carbamide resin, isourea, carbonyl diamide, and carbonyldiamine. You'll rarely see it called by these names. It is almost always sold as urea. For what you're using it for, I know of no substitute.

Hello: 1st post. Finally have something to offer. I bought 5 lbs of Espoma Quick Solutions Urea at my local True Value Hardware store. It cost me $15.99 on 08/06/08. The UPC code # is 50197 01505. I am pretty sure that it is a stock item in there warehouse, so you should be able to order it about anywhere in the US. True value isn't cheap but if you don't find it anywhere else, is should be available there.

Great forum. Lots of good information and I'm still wading thru it all. The one thing that I like the most is the stress on safety that you encourage here.

Tried to add a photo of it but it wouldn't take but I saw it in the another post here about refining it to make cleaner.

Good luck to all and I hope you find your pot of gold!

dndglobal
The [46-0-0] is the 'somewhat' standardized method of grading fertilizers for their [N-P-K] (Nitrogen content % - Phosphorus content % - Potassium content %). I made a post in the data section about the different fertilizers and what three numbers equal what chemical (roughly - its not a set in stone standardization). Just because a fertilizer has a nitrogen content, that doesn't help you, you need to know what form the nitrogen is actually in (ie nitrate, ammonium, urea).
So the 46 says that the compound has approximately 46% nitrogen.

Where I am I can get urea easily, but I haven't seen any kind of nitrates around at all. I had to resort to using some ammonium nitrate from instant cold packs to make some adhoc aqua regia.

I got with the store owner yesterday, he made some phone calls and we got a 50 pd bag being shipped it so 50 pds should last me for the next 20 yrs or so. If I became short tempered with anyone? I apolize but this can be very fustrating at times. Thanks, Don

Latest posts

Back