Question about gold dust in acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldengirl2016

I have been able to process gold from fingers and other material with no issues mainly thanks to this forum. All of my processes though I had larger flakes in the acid. With larger gold flakes I was able to pour off the acid with very little gold ending up in the filters. For some reason this batch isn't like that. This batch has a lot of gold dust in it that is floating. No matter how slow I pour I see more and more gold ending up in the filter. My question is should I add a drop of detergent to the acid to suppress the gold then pour? Or should I just reclaim the gold when I process the filter?
What are the cons of adding detergent to the acid? What type of detergent should I use "dish soap or borax"?
Would lowering the Ph of the acid cause the gold not to float?
How would more experienced people handle this situation?

Thanks in advance!

When I get gold flakes stuck in a filter I usually open it up and put it flat on the inside of a beaker, then it's easy to wash the gold down into the beaker with a squirt bottle.

A couple of drops of detergent should also work, it should make the gold sink and most of it is washed away so it shouldn't affect the refining.

Göran

You can leave it undisturbed for a day or two. Even tiniest particles tend to settle down if they get enough of time to do so.

The other alternative is to simply put the filter paper in your solution and dissolve the gold from it.

Dilution of the acidic water with acetone or methanol reduces density,
helps precipitation. "30 and more recovery procedures"

Latest posts

Back