Question about sedimentation aid in separating sludge from silver sulfate solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conglioa

I have a question as to whether there is a suitable sedimentation aid to aid in sludge filtration in Ag2SO4 solution. I have a lot of fine sludge in the solution and cannot filter it with filter paper so I wanted to find a substance such as a flocculation polymer to aid in the bonding of fine sludge particles into large particles for better filtration. I used anionic Polymer (APAM) as a flocculation agent, the result is very good, the sludge collects together and settles very quickly, easy to filter. But one problem I discovered after testing it with AgNO3 solution was that it produced a white precipitate. I think some of the silver in the solution has been precipitated by it and mixed in the mud. Because since I used the APAM (anionic polymer) deposition aid I have seen a 60% reduction in the amount of silver obtained on the same original sample. This is the chemical formula of the sediment [-CH2-CH (CONH2) -] n. Hope someone can explain and give me advice. Thanks everyone.

Lino1406 said:
Is the system free of chloride ions (Cl-)?

That's right, I wonder what that white precipitate is. But it sure is a compound of Ag. This morning I tried it with Ag2SO4 solution and the same result, it also gave a white precipitate. :cry:

Assuming that you are working with an acid solution, try using Cytec N300 neutral floc.

It comes as a powder and needs to be made up in water to around a 1% solution, it is very slow dissolving so usually is made up by an overnight stir in a magnetic stirrer.

Do not think that you can make it up as a higher strength and then dilute it to 1%, it will form an incredibly strong gel which will stop the stirrer rotating.

Add the 1% solution to your liquor at the rate of 1 to 2 ml per litre of liquor.

Then agitate incredibly strongly for 10 to 20 seconds and let it settle, it will take around a minute to drop out all of the particles as large flocs.

Deano

Deano said:

I see it looks like the one I'm using is SPECFLOC A - 1110 FLOCCULANT ANIONIC POLYMER. I think I mistakenly used it because it has a negative charge, it attracts positive ions and includes Ag +.
Also this chemical but has a positively charged type: SPECFLOC C - 1492 HMW FLOCCULANT CATIONIC POLYACRYLAMIDE. Since it is positively charged it is advertised that it will only attract negative ions and it will probably not precipitate Ag +. But the cost is too expensive and I have to buy a 25kg bag just for testing. Like the SPECFLOC A - 1110 FLOCCULANT ANIONIC POLYMER I had to buy 25kg and it was not suitable so now I have to put it in stock.
This flocculation polymer has very little usage, only a few ppm and is very effective for sedimentation, I just had a problem with it that it precipitated Ag + in Ag2SO4 solution. :lol:

Palladium said:
Hey Deano! Have you ever tried that with silver chlorides?
Hey Palladium, I tried using it with AgCl, very effective. It helps AgCl settle very quickly and very easily wash off. I don't see it interfering with the later reduction of AgCl to metallic silver. :D

Good deal. Usually i drop chlorides from nitric in a concentrated solution and it settles quickly.
Every now and then i might have a diluted solution where that fine stuff will take a day or so to settle.
I'm usually not in a hurry and let it settle, it doesn't matter to me to wait, but i'm always up for learning a new trick to put in my toolbox in case i might need it in the future. I wonder if it would work for gold from a dirty solution on the first drop? I found some state side i might order just to try it out. My chemical supplier, looking at their site, also carries it so i may order a big bag or two if i like it.
From the looks of it, a little goes a long way! I actually have thousands of those little balls made from it that i used to use for the kids to play with in water, but those won't work. I wonder if gelatin would do the same?
https://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=10667&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2ZhbnzLofVv-xHu2GK2TTnAHetQZKT6pKPiO4z3FtSgrZSlbV_y7vgaAt3ZEALw_wcB

Oh I also have a lot of Gelatine available but have never tried it. The gelatine I use as an additive to copper electrolysis.
I have this photo (cannot post video) of anionic coagulation polymer experiment with sludge. It is very useful indeed. I just haven't found the right one because there are so many on the market.
And I tried it with AgCl, the result is similar to this one, it coalesce and settles very quickly, it only takes less than 1 minute for them to settle down using the flocculation polymer.
I haven't tried gold yet because now I only work with silver

Attachments

• KT11.jpg
    KT11.jpg
    57.6 KB
  • KT12.jpg
    KT12.jpg
    60.1 KB
  • KT13.jpg
    KT13.jpg
    63.4 KB
  • KT14.jpg
    KT14.jpg
    59 KB
  • KT15.jpg
    KT15.jpg
    63.6 KB
With N 300 a little goes an incredibly long way.

The advantages I found with it are that virtually all solids in acid solution will floc incredibly quickly provided enough agitation is imparted to the pulp.

It certainly works for gold dropped from contaminated solution, this was the reason I started using it in large scale.

It also works for clays and similar from soil samples.

The flocs are strong and with a little care taken, don't just pressure squirt your rinse water in, can be filtered rapidly and completely.

Deano

Deano said:
The flocs are strong and with a little care taken, don't just pressure squirt your rinse water in, can be filtered rapidly and completely.

Deano

Do you mean Just don't pressure squirt your rinse water in ?
I take it you mean this will separate the flocculant from the materials?

The flocs are strong in the floc sense of strong but can be broken up by adding rinse water under highish pressure into the pulp solids if you have same or by pressure rinsing the flocs on the filter paper.

Deano

Latest posts

Back