Questions after the AR process.....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragnarok84

Once you have the gold powder after you have performed the aqua regia phase, is there anymore cleaning or refining that needs to take place? Am I understanding that after reconstitution that all other metals have been dissolved from the reaction? Any direction or links would be greatly appreciated.

-mike

Hello ragnarok84 and welcome to the forum.
In order to give an accurate answer to your question, we need a little more information.
For instance, what material you started with. The steps on exactly what you did. What did you use to make AR. Did you get rid of the base metals before using AR. Did you properly use up all of the Nitric acid before dropping the gold out. Did you test the solution with Stannous Chloride.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2840
Above hopfeully is a link, or copy and paste, to posts for Stannous Chloride testing.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17940
Again, hopefully is a link to washing powder before melting.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21374
This is the most important link for you to begin with. It will guide you through your learning of collecting and refining precious metals,(PMs) and the forum use.

Please take time to tell us about yourself as well as well as where you learned what you know to date.
This is not a get rich pie in the sky gold grab thing. AR and other chemicals used are very toxic to yourself, others and the environment so please take time to study and learn how to properly do what it is you wish.

Good Luck
B.S.

Hi Ragnarok84,

You have arrived at the finest repository of information for the hobby refiner, in the world. Welcome!

Here you will find the answer to any refining question you can imagine.
Only one problem....., you first have to look for the answer yourself. It took me a while to figure out why everyone is so adamant about this, as I am an impatient guy, who likes fast answers. Fortunately, some really nice people explained the forum culture to me, and as a result, my refining knowledge grows daily.

Go to your "user control panel" and under "important announcements" check out "Tips for navigating and posting on the forum", and "Board policy". I cannot stress how important this is to your stay here, mate.

The "powers that be" are inundated with answering similar questions more than once, and sometimes get a little sticky with what may be perceived as a need by new entrants for instant gratification with minimal input (like I used to be), so in exchange for their vast, and I mean vast, knowledge, they ask only that your prove your sincerity by doing the required legwork in the form of the suggested reading, specifically the free download of C M Hoke's seminal book, "Refining precious metal waste", (The forum's " bible"), prior to posting.

Once again, this link, http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21374 will really make things easy for you. Send me a pm for "New to the forum" questions, If I can help, I will.
Mike 8)

Thank you both for your responses. I am a hobbiest gold miner, treasure hunter, rock hound, and beginning to get into the e-scrap. I am the person who does his homework before turning his gold into a solution that he didn't intend on doing. I have a small lab, a fume hood, and a good majority of the acids I need to perform my great experiment. Most recently I have been working with the infamous Hg and have built a retort so I can recycle the mercury I use to capture my fine gold. I'm not the kind of person who is looking to get rich quick, Gold is my hobby and passion. Looking to get into the smelting process to create my own art. :)

-mike

I suggest you slow WAY down and read the heck out of the forum, particularly CM Hoke's book (available as a free download).

Also, we do not condone the use of mercury along with several other extremely hazardous materials. We do not permit the discussion of retorts or amalgamation on this forum--this is the 21st century and mercury has NO use in refining/recovery processes.

Hi Mike,
Am looking forward to hearing about your adventure, as I have an interest in prospecting ( zero experience ). Living in South Africa, I am well placed geographically, to one day, do some "adventure mining", but alas, for now "armchair mining" will have to do. Post often, so we can see how it's done "down under" 8)
Mike

Latest posts

Back