Quick question about buying cpu's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slopez

I live in south america, i started refining just recently after reading hokes, i set out to buy some procesors (cpu) just the cpu's i offered $5 per kilo do you guys think its worth it they are mostly pentiums.
Thanks in advance

Greetings!

There is much to learn here and I welcome you to the forum. I am going to strongly suggest
that you put off buying anything until have done some searching and reading on the forum first.
Doing so will save you a lot of money and a lot of time.

Bueno suerte!

Thank you both for your suggestion im going to try the hcl acid with hidrogen peroxide method i read from this forum i think the connector pins will do well in that process i will leave the cpu core apart. You mentioned not buying ceramic im surprised since i was under the impression that ceramic cpu had a higher yield but apart from that do you thin $5 for a kilo of cpus ceramic mixed with fiber and in between is a good price from your expirenced

Slopez said:
Thank you both for your suggestion im going to try the hcl acid with hidrogen peroxide method i read from this forum i think the connector pins will do well in that process i will leave the cpu core apart. You mentioned not buying ceramic im surprised since i was under the impression that ceramic cpu had a higher yield but apart from that do you thin $5 for a kilo of cpus ceramic mixed with fiber and in between is a good price from your expirenced
If you can get them for that rock it.
That's a great price.

Eric

I think there is a typo somewhere. Ceramics yield 10 to 20 times higher than most fiber. Ten pentium1 should not be far from ~1 g or maybe ~3-4g per kg. Gold top slightly more.

But as it has been mentioned before, search the forum about any kind of cpu before processing. They are treated different, even the different parts (lid, heat sink, core, pins) of a ceramic cpu are treated different, and there are a lot of traps where you can have losses.

Slopez said:

Sorry, I should have put a comma in there.

Since you are new and not sure of what you are doing.

The fiber CPU's are low grade.

For the ones with pin's soak them in HCL till the pins fall off then separate them from the fiberglass and finish processing the pin's, most of the pins are steel/kovar and this will be removed when you try to separate from the fiberglass, the rest of the pins you can finish up in copper chloride.

The pinless fiber CPU's you will want to do them in copper chloride.

Remove the heat sinks from them and set the ones that have gold plating on them to the side till you have more experience in processing.

Great advice,
Thank you much, I was going to do just that take one piece at a time one process at a time. I'm actually a jeweler so im familiar with refining metals but not from these sort of scraps. I have no access to hcl acid here because its a highly controled substance in my country its used in the making of colombian nose candy.

Fortunately i found harpic 5x (drain cleaner) that has 32% hcl acid and some by products like amonia but i made AR with it last night and it really does work like the pure stuff only bad thing is that its smells like lavander :mrgreen: but it swallowed a piece of gold the size of a nail clipping in about 4 minutes. There is a lot of scrap here and people dont recover any matirial no one knows what its worth, i dont even know so im putting a low price on it, gpu's, RAM, motherboards, everything goes for $2 a kilo 8) from what ive been reading and the cost of my basic materials,it looks profitable if done on a large enough scale.

I will share my success or failure with you guys soon.

Cheers from Bolivia

Slopez,
Get the MSDS on the drain cleaner, HCl acid is not normally used in drain cleaners, as it could dissolve iron and other metals in plumbing, concentrated sulfuric acid or sodium hydroxide is what many drain cleaners are based on.
Drain cleaners can be made from acids or caustic solutions which are not suitable for other applications, it can be one way company's can sell their byproduct wastes products from other industrial processes, drain cleaners can also have other additives, or inhibitors added, some of which may become a problem with your processes.
The MSDS should give you a clue as to what you have.

Latest posts

Back