Raising ph of waste acids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but the pH is only useful to determine the concentration of acid, if we only talk about strong acids. Weak acids would just form new H+'es, when we neutralize those, that are free, as long as there is an excess of not protolysed acid left. The same with concentrated acids, which contain excess gasses like oleum and red smoking.

For a cheap source of ground Limestone, I use Wally-World Play Sand. It doesn't react too quickly and foam over, so I don't have to hang around and watch it fizzle.

Irons said:
For a cheap source of ground Limestone, I use Wally-World Play Sand. It doesn't react too quickly and foam over, so I don't have to hang around and watch it fizzle.

I always did enjoy your posts and someday I'll try to read every one of them. I like the way you make do with what you can get instead of sticking with the high dollar supplies.

Keep it up. Glad you came back and started posting again.

I burned about 2 cords of hardwood this winter. In the past, I've thrown them out. This year I've saved them. I'll leach them this summer for a source of free lye.

Dave

bmgold2 said:
Irons said:

I always did enjoy your posts and someday I'll try to read every one of them. I like the way you make do with what you can get instead of sticking with the high dollar supplies.

Keep it up. Glad you came back and started posting again.

TY :mrgreen:

Caveman Chemistry

FrugalRefiner said:
I burned about 2 cords of hardwood this winter. In the past, I've thrown them out. This year I've saved them. I'll leach them this summer for a source of free lye.

Dave
Dave,

If you put the ashes in an airtight container while they are still hot, most of what you get will be Potassium Hydroxide. If you just leave them in an open container, the ashes will absorb Carbon Dioxide from the Air to give Potassium Carbonate.

Stay tuned for more Caveman Chemistry. :mrgreen:

Irons said:
Dave,

If you put the ashes in an airtight container while they are still hot, most of what you get will be Potassium Hydroxide. If you just leave them in an open container, the ashes will absorb Carbon Dioxide from the Air to give Potassium Carbonate.

Stay tuned for more Caveman Chemistry. :mrgreen:
I didn't know that. Fortunately, when I clean out the wood burner, I put the ashes in a metal can with a tight fitting lid that keeps any of the remaining embers from causing a fire. They're usually still warm when they come out of the wood burner in the morning with some glowing coals among them. I've found that it's best to clean my burner out each morning, even if I still have some glowing coals in it.

Thanks for the chemist tip,
Dave

solar_plasma said:
Correct me, if I am wrong, but the pH is only useful to determine the concentration of acid, if we only talk about strong acids. Weak acids would just form new H+'es, when we neutralize those, that are free, as long as there is an excess of not protolysed acid left. The same with concentrated acids, which contain excess gasses like oleum and red smoking.
You can also measure the concentration of Bases. A pH greater than 7 is Basic.

Here's a more detailed explanation:

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Acids_and_Bases/Aqueous_Solutions/The_pH_Scale

Latest posts

Back