Re. cleaning borax from graphite melting dish.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leondavids

Hello great forum , been reading more Hoke, she writes about a booklet that refers to the melting of precious metals .I cant find any info about the preparation and cleaning the remaining borax from a graphite melting dish .Did i miss this instruction or can someone point me in the right direction please.

thanks in advance.

I don't know how to "clean" the borax off a graphite melting dish, but I've cleaned my silica crucible by boiling it in 10% sulphuric.

I buy 40 & 100 dwt by GROBET USA fused silica crucibles. When they got dirty & thick with borax, I boiled one of the 40 dwt to test I find out if it would withstand such procedure. After letting it dry for several days, I started to apply heat & finally melted scrap gold that I was shipping. It's been more than 6 mos. & I've done more that a dozen melts since, with no cracking or problem at all. I just melted scrap gold last tuesday with no problems.

I don't know if you could boil a graphite one. I only use graphite for pouring
my metals or a rod for stiring.

Someone with more expirience will share their knowledge.

Phil

philddreamer said:
I don't know how to "clean" the borax off a graphite melting dish, but I've cleaned my silica crucible by boiling it in 10% sulphuric.

I buy 40 & 100 dwt by GROBET USA fused silica crucibles. When they got dirty & thick with borax, I boiled one of the 40 dwt to test I find out if it would withstand such procedure. After letting it dry for several days, I started to apply heat & finally melted scrap gold that I was shipping. It's been more than 6 mos. & I've done more that a dozen melts since, with no cracking or problem at all. I just melted scrap gold last tuesday with no problems.

Phil

Thanks anyway for your input .

I would switch to fused silica melting dishes like these;
http://www.contenti.com/products/casting/170-710.html
http://www.contenti.com/products/casting/170-712.html
or http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUSED-SILICA-MELTING-DISH-CRUCIBLE-GOLD-SILVER-Set-3-/130423361715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5dd690b3

Cleaning them has been discussed more than once on the forum.
If you can't find something in Hoke's book, the search button here on the forum should help.

Jim

Harold has a great post on how to clean a dish. It is difficult to find however. I think it is in a thread that is not about cleaning dishes. If you search, you may find a link to it in other posts. I meant to book mark it the last time I found it, but did not. If you find it let me know!

Is it this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUSED-SILICA-MELTING-DISH-CRUCIBLE-GOLD-SILVER-Set-3-/130423361715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5dd690b3

or this one?
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8498&p=79312&hilit=clean+dish#p79312

glondor said:
Harold has a great post on how to clean a dish. It is difficult to find however. I think it is in a thread that is not about cleaning dishes. If you search, you may find a link to it in other posts. I meant to book mark it the last time I found it, but did not. If you find it let me know!

Sure , will do so .Thanks.

philddreamer said:

Phil

I hope you save the acid you treat your dish with. Have a look at your dish with a loupe. You should see a multitude of microscopic beads of gold.

Indeed Qst, that was the reason for the process. I could see the tiny gold beads & diamonds & I was after them. So, I figured that if 10% sulphuric dissolves the borax from my ingots, why not from the dish? I had extra melting dishes, so if it didn't work, I could always crush the dish & run thru acids. I'm glad it worked & I can still use it!

I used plenty of borax, soda ash & heat to recover what was left in the dish when I did the first melt; & some day, when I retire the dish, I'll give it the hammer/acid treatment! :mrgreen:
I thank you all for sharing your expertice!

Kindly,

Phil

Latest posts

Back