read hooks book cover to cover but need some help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys
i have to say a big thank you to Harold for telling me to read hooks book well i have read it cover to cover and i tell you it is one of the best reads i have ever read its great so much info and i fell very comfortable with taking the next step
but i have run in to a road block i cant find nitric acid now were and if you can the price sucks i have heard of [poor mans ] but i am a bit unsure how to make it still
thanks for all your help Craig

Nitric acid can be made with sulfuric acid (new battery acid Napa auto parts),this is cleaner more pure than drain cleaners, and a nitrate fertilizer like sodium nitrate, or pottasium nitrate stump remover(like Grants brand).
sulfuric battery acid can be concentrated if you want to by boiling on hot plate outdoors or fume hood if boiled till white fumes appear it would be about 98%,since the stonger the acid gets the higher the boiling point for sufuric gets it does not boil out on mostly just water boils out. although stronger the sulfuric the stronger the nitric will be water in it helps to disolve the fertilizer,and we use a weaker nitric for most every thing it seems better. KNO3 pottasium nitrate 200 gram, or sodium nitrate 170gram, disolved in 200ml hot water, then slowly add sulfuric acid 56ml if 98%.cool then freeze decant salts, (sodium or pottasium sulfate),

I usually boil 12 cups battery acid down to 6 cups and use 1 pound fertilizer and distill bubbling gas into a little water this for more pure acid(changing water and sulfuric strength for the strength of nitric needed) distilling is not nessasary for most processes.
one of my favorite processes is to strip copper from gold on pins, is to distill them too while making nitric works great killing two birds with one shot.

there has been alot of discussions of nitric on this forum for it can be hard to get or very expensive,

Latest posts

Back