Recovering Gold from RAM flatpacks

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylordave

From what I have read on the forum, the most widely used process for recovering gold from RAM flatpacks is: Incinerate chips, magnetically separtate iron, wash in hydrochloric acid, wash, dissolve in AR,heat to near boiling to remove excess acid and then drop using sodium metabisulphite.

My question is - What is the disadvantage of using HCl and bleach to dissolve the gold instead of AR and then letting the chlorine evaporate before dropping the gold?

What is the disadvantage of using HCl and bleach to dissolve the gold instead of AR

When using AR, it is enough to stir a few times a day for some days. HCl/Cl didn't work for me at all (edit: on incinerated flatpacks), - probably it woud have worked, if stirred all the time.

The chips should be pyrolyzed before being incinerated. This removes the nasty chemicals used in their production by heating them (without oxygen) to where the chemicals turn to a gas. The gas can then be treated by chemical wash or by an afterburner to destroy the toxic fumes. Your friends and neighbors will thank you.

HCl and bleach (HCl + NaClO) just plain didn't work for me when I was trying to dissolve small gold nuggets. In fact, I still have a bunch of the nuggets laying around in my garage. They did partly dissolve, and then turned from a pretty golden color to black. I assume, maybe if I ever learn enough, I'll be able to further process (maybe melt them and then cornflake them) these to recover the last bits of gold. Having said that, HCl and bleach did work quite well when I used it on circuit board foils. Something not shown on the forum very often is that most acids have an additional chemical added to the end of their chemical formula (H2O). I have never heard of it being problematic unless the acid is diluted too much. Then, it slows down the reaction, but the final reaction is more efficient. When dealing with silver and HNO3, usually it HAS to be diluted to make it work better.

HCl and bleach: 1. Easier to get (and cheaper) than HNO3. 2. Does NOT add nitric to the solution which will need to be removed later. 3. Is great for recovery, but for final refining, you should use AR. 4. It does add sodium to your final solution which usually doesn't cause problems like tin and/or lead do.

AR: (HCl + HNO3) 1. Works well all the time (I personally haven't heard of it not working, but I suppose it's possible). 2. Probably works faster than HCl and bleach. 3. Add nitrogen to the solution, but not any additional metals such as sodium. 4. Is the solution of choice for final refining.

when i do chips, i seldom pre-treat the concentrated ash (unless im processing many pounds at a time) so i tend to have a small amount of base metal mixed in. hcl/Cl works better on clean (base metal free) fines. the base will either keep the gold from dissolving due to the coppers higher reactivity or the gold will just cement back out. AR overcomes this by dissolving everything. the small amount of base metal means nothing to this more powerful acid combination. the trick is to add in small increments and wait for the reaction to stop (while heating). dont forget to heat.

Wondering havent tryed yet but I was thinking maybe after inceneration and magnetic iorn removal maybe warm ap for 2 or 3 days then wash then hcl/blech just a thought for the guys that nitric isnt that easy to get

I personally have had no issues when it comes to disolving gold in HCL/clorox. with any gold, or incinerated flat packs. I did recently have a issue with smb dropping properly, but that was a issue with not getting OUT the clorox properly. th

Thanks for all the replies. I'm away until next month, so I will rethink my strategy when I return. I have some Nitric acid so it is not a problem although I am comfortable using clorox because I have been successful processing fingers so far. Hopefully if I wash the ash a few times in HCl after the magnetic separation it will get rid of all the unwanted metals.

search the forum for Harolds cleaning techniques, makes a huge difference, it takes a little longer, but your gold comes out almost as pure as your gonna get it. th

Latest posts

Back