Refiners in Europe

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That double valves catch system is great. There used to be a member here that ran something similar on a system using AP. Once he had the foils all loose he could remove the boards with a basket, let the foils settle into an open valve, then close the top, open the bottom and rinse the foils into a waiting bucket. Using that system he was running around 50 pounds of finger’s a month.

For foils, I would think a steep taper into the upper valve is a must with no flats to catch the foils. Foils weigh next to nothing so collecting them in a gravity funnel cannot afford obstructions. Still it's a good idea because all he has to do is rinse and keep changing out the baskets full of fingers.

It used a larger plastic funnel with a three inch opening down to the valve. Plastic welded to the bottom of a large plastic water tank from a larger camper trailer that held around 40 gallons of water. He made up a lid that was slightly conical as well so the bubbling solution was aimed back into the center and not leak out or run down the outside. Under the bottom he had welded a large pvc valve to the funnel and a much larger pipe as a catch vessel, and necked back down to a 6 inch outlet valve. He used a large home nebulizer as an air source in place of the usual air pump. He didn’t want this known at the time as he felt it was his secret method, since he died a few years ago I think he wouldn’t mind sharing it now.

No, this was JHS, from Texas. Barren Realms was pretty sharp and I picked up a good bit from him as well.

Every time I see your picture of the plastic barrel and funnel fume hood it reminds of that AP system. I always wanted to try and see if would work the same way, I just don’t get enough escrap anymore to try it.

The one key in using a 2 valve system like these systems use, is using a gate type valve and not a ball valve. The gate valves can take a bit more particulate on the seal and rinse easier. Ball valves spin the trapped particles into the ball causing gouges in the ball and, in short order, mess up the seal.

I would use what are called inductor tanks, steep walls and full drain. Let me look up a few components which would be necessary, and then start a thread for a build your own bottom draining Silver cell. I'd just lay out the basics and everyone can join in and together we can design a system.

The reason I wouldn't use a funnel welded to a drum is those welds never, or rarely, hold. A rotationally molded tank would be better.

I'd just lay out the basics and everyone can join in and together we can design a system.

That should be a fun team building project to observe.

Never having done more than thought experiments I was wondering how amenable a small version of this proposed continuous plant is to standing idle is you have no material to process? Can it be made with materials that could withstand corrosion indefinitely and tolerate neglect of evaporation for some time in the shed when not in use?

Perhaps you can estimate how sensitive to the price of electricity are these silver refining operations, more importantly if electricity cost were to double EVERYWHERE would this effect the price of silver to compensate or is the bulk of global silver not refined in this way?

Just try it yourself in the time you wasted on searching and mailing,you sure would have been tired, it's better to learn the process and do it yourself which makes you better learned and enriches your hobby.Finding refiners of tiny quantity is like hitting the wall with head.
so best is to refine.
This is my plan :)

Back