Refining 33 kilograms of ceramic CPU`s

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todor

Hi there, in the next couple of days we are going to refine 33 kilograms of ceramic CPU`s- gold plated only(i mean every one has the yellow plate), like 386, 486, Intel pentium, pentium pro, cyrix and so on. I have got some pictures from the preparing proces. Some other pictures and data, later on....

Attachments

• 20170409_145129.jpg
    20170409_145129.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,012
  • 20170409_135250.jpg
    20170409_135250.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,012
It would be interesting to see what each type approximately yields. That may not be possible, since it looks like they have been mixed up.

Since it is a medley of CPUs, I would opine that the data you obtain would only be specific to your particular batch of material. In my experience, even processing CPUs of the same type has resulted in a range of what yield to expect. Reportedly, this variation in yield can be due to manufacturing location, year manufactured, recovery technique, etc.

It still will be interesting to see what kind of yield you get, however.

Run the caps separate.

Otherwise you will be continuously cementing gold on them until they are dissolved. Its much easier to run them in dilute nitric until the foils shed off, then just run the pieces of the processors with the pins and braze directly in ar, making sure all metal is dissolved.
Then rinse them (ceramic pieces) with dilute hcl until there is no color change.

After the caps shed the foil, you can process them in their own batch of ar, or hcl bleach.

Looks like fun!

Good catch on removing the caps or heat spreaders prior to processing. When I first processed some CPUs, I did not remove the caps and I found later that a good portion of the braze remained in between the cap and ceramic part.

I now remove the caps with a oxygen/propane torch first. The brazing can be somewhat stubborn at times, but it is definitely worth removing them. I have found however, that if one does it correctly, the gold on the caps can be stripped with hot AR without dissolving the whole cap. It becomes a matter of timing and not letting the AR run to completion. I think Jon mentioned this technique sometime back. In order to get most of the gold from the caps, it will require subjecting them to multiple leaches using a fresh batch of AR or Sodium Nitrate and HCl.

Here it is some other pictures of the process refining those CPU`s, we just added 5 more kilograms different gold plated chips. Please, don`t ask me what is the exact process, because a refiner doing it for us. That is happened on our place far from populated area and every acid that is left will be properly disposed.

Attachments

• 20170410_205947.jpg
    20170410_205947.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 914
  • 20170410_202308.jpg
    20170410_202308.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 913
  • 20170410_191559.jpg
    20170410_191559.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 914
  • 20170410_191400.jpg
    20170410_191400.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 914
anachronism said:
Arrghhh I'm cringeing.
Me too, for several reasons...

Those Pakistani refiners... but what can you expect from a third world country like that... :mrgreen:

Göran

I love the temperature control system . . . stoke the fire! temperature is getting low :lol:
WRONG!

Also, in the pics it looks like most of the ceramic DIP ICs are not broken up ???

WRONG!
Do you know that these chips let more than 12 grams au per kg(these are not the ceramic CPUs)

And I see a lot of copper lids. Luckily they have a BIG bottle of Nitric
WRONG!
Man, you have got 234 posts, and i see that you don`t understand nothing about AU refining!

Todor,, calm down work with fun,, it's just on a fun day critic

There's nothing to be strong and posting in all caps, not unless you are high in Gold Fever.

:lol: What is WRONG ? The three pictures above show . . . a fire . . . lots of ICs that are not broken up enough . . . some gold plated lids that have not been removed ?

Seriously, I was just having some fun based on the pictures, no intention to cause personal offence!

FrugalRefiner said:
Everybody step back and take a breath please.

Let's keep the discussion constructive and on topic.

Dave

I couldn't agree with this more... lets not try to run this guy off my insulting him and personally attacking him and try to get him to see the error of his ways so that some poor soul isn't downwind of that kind of cloud of NOx again. I would rather see a constructive promotion of responsible and safe refining than to run off another refiner through character attacks and relegating them to the realm of hand-me-down knowledge and youtube refining practices.

PLEASE, Todor... you MUST work on and practice much better safety procedures and habits because what you are showing in your pictures are going to get someone hurt or killed... it is not a matter of if, but when.

No offence taken, but the the refiner is doing this for 25 years. Also as i said - this process is done in the remote area, and the leftover acid will be given to special company for disposal to wich i have to pay charge. So please, don`t think we are some brainless people blinded with the gold fever.
I put the topic in "data" because i wanted to share my result, as i shared my results and experience with Umicore and the mobile phones.
This is not an easy job and it took me years to get to here and find the right people for the job.

Latest posts

Back