Refining metals from the liquids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXWolfie

Ok first off I spent the other day looking at your video's Steve and must say it's really plain and simple explanations and not to technical. The next few questions that I am gonna ask should all be yes if I understand it fully from the video's.
1. With extracting gold I need to have the weight proportunate to the amount of liquid
2. Now the gold will be in the yellow/gold liquid after the process is done and not anywhere else.
3. Now with the left over mucky stuff if there is silver, I use another method to extract it from there.
This question is neither yes or no just which one is done first
If a board has both silver and gold on it which should be done first?
I know I can search the forums for proper techniques about each one. Unfortunately I have not seen a video with both processes tieing into each other, I would like to be sure for my own sanity.. and safety.
I have been collecting all type's of electrical boards from old handheld calculators to radio/stereo equiptment basically anything with a board on it, with the hope this new hobby is fun, exciting and rewarding.

Thanx in advance
Rich

what stock did you start with? what materials did you dissolve? did you seperate base metals from your gold before you dissolved it? did you test with stannous chloride to prove you have gold in your solution?

bhupesh17,

I deleted the report you filed against TXWolfie's post in this thread. These reports are used primarily for posts that are spam and other serious forum infringements. Just because you don't agree with something someone said, don't file a report on it. Explain your disagreement in another post.

Welcome to the forum.

goldsilverpro said:
bhupesh17,

I deleted the report you filed against TXWolfie's post in this thread. These reports are used primarily for posts that are spam and other serious forum infringements. Just because you don't agree with something someone said, don't file a report on it. Explain your disagreement in another post.

Welcome to the forum.
I would love to know why and for what I was reported on, my questions were of curiosities nothing more. And Geo that was 1 of my curiosities hypathetically if the liquid was a soup and and had all metals in it since it was never seperated pre dissolving. Does a person start with a specific process first say Gold then Silver then discard the leftover or not if wanting the rest of any metals left over. I thought I wrote the question as simple as possible.

gold and silver cant be in the same solution at the same time. if you used nitric acid for example to digest the material nitric acid alone will not dissolve gold but will dissolve silver and most base metals. if you used AR to dissolve your material (which is a bad thing to do) the gold will go into solution but as soon as the silver goes in it will push the gold back out.silver will remain in solution with copper as long as the solution isnt saturated with copper. you will probably want to add a piece of copper buss bar to your "soup" to cement out all the values until theres no reaction to the copper. the powder thats left will be your values. rinse will hot water to remove any salts then incinerate, then use some dilute nitric acid to dissole the silver and PT,PD and any base metals thats left. any powder left will be your gold. then treat the solution you have left with some table salt to precipitate the silver then do a stannous chloride test to see if to have any PGM's left in your solution.

Ok thats what I was wondering on, so basically a person would have to take out the gold primarily first then all or any other metals can be drawn from the "soup". So a person would need to do nitric process first to seperate gold out of the "soup", then do the copper process to grab the silver. But now that I know this for future references that is impossible and a heck of alot easier to seperate and do each process seperately, there is no easy way or short cut as of yet. Thanx a bunch for answering that for me and just follow the video's that steve did

Rich

Geo said:
gold and silver cant be in the same solution at the same time. if you used nitric acid for example to digest the material nitric acid alone will not dissolve gold but will dissolve silver and most base metals. if you used AR to dissolve your material (which is a bad thing to do) the gold will go into solution but as soon as the silver goes in it will push the gold back out.
You have it right with gold and silver not being able to be in solution at the same time (acidic solution), although it is commonly accepted that traces of silver remain in solution and are difficult to remove. It is for that reason one dilutes their gold chloride solutions---which helps in precipitating the traces of silver as silver chloride.

So far as silver pushing gold out, that's simply not true. The problem you encounter when attempting to dissolve silver bearing materials, assuming the silver content is too high (greater than 10%), is that the silver chloride that forms is rigidly attached to the parent metal, forming a hard shell that isolates the metal from the solution, so dissolution comes to a stop.

silver will remain in solution with copper as long as the solution isnt saturated with copper.
In all my years of refining, I never experienced silver not remaining in solution, in spite of considerable copper dissolved in the solution. In my experience, silver will remain in solution, with the exception being that when silver is saturated, it grows silver nitrate crystals as the solution cools. I am unaware of silver coming out of solution otherwise. If I am wrong, I welcome correction.

Harold

Back