Refining MLCC´s for Palladium and Silver !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean directly? Did i have the mlccs in there while I added the sodium hydroxide and then the sugar. So if you are asking if the mlccs were in the beaker will add that stuff then the answer is no.
After I put the mlccs into dilute nitric I then filtered out the mlccs. And many rinses with distilled water. Next I put the beaker back on the hot plate. Without lid, I tried to evaporate much of the liquid. Then i added sodium hydroxide and used my magnetic stirrer until all of the white chloride turned dark to even black. Next I added the sugar, regular sugar ( which I'm your I should used kero syrup and also should have rinsed that sugar before adding the sugar) so after adding that sugar I kept it in hot plate until it all looked dark and uniform color. Did I mess up? I guess I should have rinsed before sugar but all in all I followed instructions instructions according to my research.
That is great, because in your post to which I replied you seemed to just add NaOH to the MLCCs.
Read it again and you will see.

But as Kurt said you need to wash it properly after.
But for 20grams of MLCCs there should just be minute amount of Silver.
Maybe in best case 2 grams, but since these are magnetic I would guess less than one.

That is great, because in your post to which I replied you seemed to just add NaOH to the MLCCs.
Read it again and you will see.

But as Kurt said you need to wash it properly after.
But for 20grams of MLCCs there should just be minute amount of Silver.
Maybe in best case 2 grams, but since these are magnetic I would guess less than one.
It looks about a gram in there maybe a little less maybe little more.

"So I filtered the 20g mlccs after letting it sit in nitric acid diluted with distilled water for 4 days. After many rinses with distilled water. I then evaporated some so it wasn't so much rinse liquid. I may have lost some values?" This is what I posted. I'm not sure where I confused you but it says right here that I used nitric acid with distilled water.

But either way. My next step is to maybe grind up the 20g of mlccs and put bank into nitric acid and distilled water. To see if I can get any silver left over because since I didn't mill them out grind them I may have left some silver behind. The stannous never showed any positive findings for Pd so I'm going to just double check it. While I do that I'll be looking for information on smelting. And also create a design to build a furnace so I can do more incineration on mlccs and IC chips. And wherever else may be needing. Sound good?

I asked you to give a detailed explanation and this is what you gave us:
1669499477879.png
We have no means to know what you have been doing in the mean time as this rolls ahead.
When we ask for detailed it needs to be detailed for a reason.

I asked you to give a detailed explanation and this is what you gave us:
View attachment 53323
We have no means to know what you have been doing in the mean time as this rolls ahead.
When we ask for detailed it needs to be detailed for a reason.
Of course. I'm not saying anything to cause offense. I just didn't understand where I was unclear in my description of my steps up to this point. So thanks for your help, everytime anyone responds I am truly grateful.

By chance would molasses work instead of sugar? Because I don't have Karo but will get it if that's the best option. I'm just wondering.
If it isn´t hot, reduction is sluggish or even non-proceeding. Regular sugar is more than good for this. Just need to be still very basic and HOT. At least 90°C, and add the sugar in small increments with stirring, as it will quickly heat up and eventually can boil.

With ozt or more batches, I always advise to use the thermometer sticked into the reaction for measuring the temperature. Heat past 95°C preferrably, then began additions of sugar proportional to the silver. It takes just a spoon or two to fully reduce ozt of silver. Temp rise isn´t sudden, it goes slowly and then shoot up quickly. Be prepared.

Never add more if the temperature isn´t higher than 90 °C, because you do not know if there is some unreacted sugar waiting for it´s chance to create boilover. Also, never add more unless you see sharply that temperature raised and then started to DECLINE. Past 113°C, you can experience mild bubbling and past 115°C it isn´t guaranteed it won´t splash the hydroxide all over you :)

Hot lye in the eye isn´t fun. I experienced it. Despite having face shield :)

Back