Refining Pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barren Realms 007 said:
copperkid_18 said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
copperkid_18 said:
qst42know said:
Unless you can convince someone to read the forum to you it won't get any easier.

It's just like in school, Do your own homework.

If you refuse to do the reading, best of luck. Your going to need plenty.

Ok, so basically thats the process? as in what I posted.

Well no not actually what you posted is correct.

You were told in the post above how to process the pins.
1. Take crock pot
2. Pour HCL, Hydrochloric acid, muriatic acid same chemical it is just know by these 3 main names
3. Add pins
4. Set temp on crock pot to high
5. Solution turn brown after a couple of days
6. Add air to the solution thru a bubbler for a fish aqauarium
7. Watch gold flakes start floating around
8. When all pins are disolved filter material thru coffee filter
9. Wash filtered material in boiling water 3 times
10. Wash in fresh HCL 3 times
11. Admire your gold flakes
12. Put flakes in glass container and add fresh HCL
13. Bring temp to about 104 F.
14. Add small amounts of Clorox till gold disolved
15. Add 3 times water to solution
16. Filter solution
17. Add SMB to solution to drop your gold

Unless you have a couple of pounds of pins to do I would suggest you wait and do a lot of reading. It can't be laid out any easier for you.

What do you do with the mud then?

I tell you what,do some searching and reading and find out what is happening in the processes above and you will answer your own question. Be sure and read up on your safety issues. Not trying to be rude here but you need some research done.

The chemicals used here are not to be taken lightely, I was fortunate when I came to the forum in that I have delt with most of them for 20 yrs or more but not used together as here on the forum. I have been soaked head to toe in acid with no bodily harm because I didn't loose my cool and knew the actions to take. Can you be cool as you watch your pants come apart because of an acid spill on them? It only takes a few seconds for this to happen.

Do the research for your own safety.

Ok, no hurt taken. I'll do some research.

a 12 years old boy wants to deal with such dangerous chemicals? at his age i wasn't able every time to hit the toilet in full dark. i am still missing it now sometimes

machiavelli976 said:
a 12 years old boy wants to deal with such dangerous chemicals? at his age i wasn't able every time to hit the toilet in full dark. i am still missing it now sometimes

I'm not twelve, I'm 22! I just went into my profile settings and realized I had the wrong birth date. Sorry!

age and maturity can be different, although maturity (sometimes)comes with age. I trusted my 12 year old daughter (when she was 12)with things I would not trust to many 50 year old. :lol:

copperkid_18 said:
machiavelli976 said:

I'm not twelve, I'm 22! I just went into my profile settings and realized I had the wrong birth date. Sorry!
Try to understand that no one on the forum wants you or any other newbie to do themselves harm and the advice to read and research is for your and any others safety.The moderators will react very quickly to any unsafe information or processes that anyone posts as will the more active contributors on the forum for that very reason,care for you, your neighbours and the environment should come at the top of your list of things to research as many of the chemicals we use daily are or can be extremely dangerous. Learn the basics of refining and go slowly on starting any process until you know what your doing and you will have a brilliant hobby with the knowledge that should you mess up( which you will ) help is on hand.

Try to understand that no one on the forum wants you or any other newbie to do themselves harm and the advice to read and research is for your and any others safety.The moderators will react very quickly to any unsafe information or processes that anyone posts as will the more active contributors on the forum for that very reason,care for you, your neighbours and the environment should come at the top of your list of things to research as many of the chemicals we use daily are or can be extremely dangerous. Learn the basics of refining and go slowly on starting any process until you know what your doing and you will have a brilliant hobby with the knowledge that should you mess up( which you will ) help is on hand.
Kobe you need to read what I am about to write carefully!!!!!!
What myself and countless others on this forum are doing,is exactly what nick posted above!I assure we are not doing this because we get something out of it.I do it as my way of showing thanks to those that helped me years ago,get where I am now.But make no mistake,by teaching others how to recover precious metals from scrap electronics,means less material for the rest of us eventually.So myself,and others,are not "gaining" anything by helping others.
We are not "ganging" up on you either,I promise,however we see a dangerous trend with you right now,and we are trying to break that trend.
It is vital that you do what we are advising you for 2 reasons,first and foremost,we understand the processes and the dangers involved.Second,you need to comprehend what the solution is doing,and why,at each level of the process.God forbid you are dissolving pins in boiling aqua regia and then pour in dry SMB.Theres a good chance the next reply you post will be from a hospital room.
So all this being said,read hokes book(I gave you the link),read the forum handbook(I gave you the link)and put the chemicals down until you have.
One more thing, add your email address to your profile.
Johnny

Has anyone ever tried to read the 18 pages of instructions written by gldman for his refining kit that copperkid bought?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39485&item=330344284669

Good luck! After trying to wade through that mess, I don't blame copperkid for asking how to do it. A person could read that 10 times and still not be exactly sure how to do anything. The whole thing could have probably been summed up in about 1 page.

Actually, the $20 for the 4#s of chemicals is a reasonable price and all 3 are usable somewhere. The instructions are sort of a bonus but they could have been done much better.

Is gldman a member of our forum? I think his name is Charles.

Well I made it about half way....right up until he mentions Megan.Thats where I draw the line.I can honestly say I am dumber for reading it.
There are so many inconsistencies,oxy-morons,and non correct statements and promises,that I wouldn't know where to start.
I am just grateful I met steve years ago instead if this guy.
Johnny

Well I would take some of that copper money, and buy some Karat gold to refine, (hang onto it until you got the process understood).
start slow reading and doing small tests, don't get impatient the gold you collect in the mean time will just pile up and you won't be dumping it out from making mistakes and not understanding the processes, their is a lot to learn here, and it will take time, and as Harold will tell you Hoke's book will lead you through the dark.

Latest posts

Back