Refining platinum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100tific

Hello!
I was recovering platinum from an alloy with different metals (Au, Pt, Pd, Ag, Cu, Zn....)
I dissolved the alloy in AR and i filtered to separate the silver chlorides that had formed.
Later, I added sulfamic acid with the hot solution with the intention of eliminating the nitric acid until the bubbles stopped coming out.
I was about to add ammonium chloride to form ammonium hexachloroplatinate, when suddenly, I noticed that a canary yellow powder was beginning to form at the bottom of the flask. I HAD NOT ADDED THE AMMONIUM CHLORIDE YET.
What is happening? What compound is this?
Why is it formed when hot sulfamic acid is added?
someone knows?

Attachments

• IMG_5561.jpg
    IMG_5561.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5562.jpg
    IMG_5562.jpg
    995.2 KB · Views: 1
As sulfamic acid by product in nitric acid is sulfuric acid, it may be an insoluble salt of sulfate. Probably lead sulfate, but the color dont match...
Way too much, so I really do not know what it might be.
Are the elements listed the only ones there?

Last edited:
Hi how much of this alloy did you start with and do you have a picture please?
I started with 131.69g of sample.

Spectrometry
Cu79.23
Au628,3
Pt102,72
Zn54.02
Ag135,35

As Ag was upper than 10% y added 50g Cu , and i did it shot blasting, small pieces. then i dissolve it in ARand i filter it to remove the AgCl. Some pieces continue without dissolve, so i put them wit a little bit more AR and then i mix both pregnant solutions. I whased the filter with HCl and i added 30g Sulphamic acid slowly and in hot, this one reacted doing bubbles and with a bit of time I have that i showed in the firsrt pictures.

in my research paper, have done the similar work. you can dissolve in the HCl and oxiding solution, then Au could be extracted by DBC, then reduce to Au powders.

Attachments

• Xing-Lee2019_Article_DevelopmentOfAHydrometallurgic.pdf
    914.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back