removing iron from incinerated ram chips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i am having a lot of trouble in eliminating the fine iron strings (wires) from the white powdered ram chips--- i use a strong magnet,but it is tiresone---because they are 5kilos batches---- as a hobby,to eliminate the iron from 100,200 grams of powder,is relatively easy---but from kilos it is insane---
I would like some help and coments on this matter----i have information that from 1kilo of ram chips,one obtains 2grams + of gold----with a lot of work i am obtaining 1gram - from a kilo and contaminated wih iron---
thanks for any help

Arthur

are you only using a "naked" magnet ?

try putting the magnet in a plastic cup, the iron will stick to the outside of the cup
when you need to remove the iron simply remove the magnet from the cup and it will fall away.

or for larger batches, put lots of magnets in a plastic bucket and use it the same way as the smaller plastic cup.

hope this helps

Maybe HCl dissolving the iron would be the way to go until you can show yourself that you aren't losing values while separating the iron. Just a thought - I don't know much about this escrap and gold stuff, though I hope to try my hand at it soon.

A screened Hopper spreading out your material onto a large flat belt moving under it, a piece of steel (scrapper) is mounted to an adjustable distance from above the moving belt, and mounted above the moving large flat belt this arm spreads your material out flat on the belt in a thin layer of what passes under this metal stationary arm.

With your material spread out on the rubber or other carpet type flat belt, this belt is turned by metal rollers, on each end, the belt is moved around these rollers, the large flat belt going around the rollers in one big loop.

The roller at one end is magnetized, and holds the magnetic material to the belt when the belt is over the magnetic roller, the non-magnetized material fall of the end of the belt into a hopper, the magnetic material still sticking to the belt is carried to the bottom of the magnetized roller where another scraper is mounted, which scraps the magnetic material loose from the belt into another hopper.

I do not know what they call this belt magnetic separator thing, but hey use them industrially and one could easily be made.

thanks all for the replies----Necromancer,i tried with magnets covered by a plastic film ,but not with plastic cups yet----Butcher,you gave me a very elaborated sistem which i am sure that it will work----but i have no conditions to make such a machine now---there are firms here that use magnetc separators to separate ferrous from non ferrous material---when and if i will have200kilos of the material,i will seek them to do the separation---
Skippy,i will try hcl with h202 to dissolve the iron----if any gold is formed in the first moment---the gold will be cemented on the powder----
Thanks all for the ideas and replies------------------------------------------------------------ram sticks here cost to me 10dollars per kilo----boardsort in usa pays 33dollars per kilo(15dollars per pound)
thats why i am trying a lot to find a way to eliminate the iron from these incinerated ram chips---the gold fingers i strip with a comercial----
regards to all
Arthur

I wouldn't recommend adding peroxide, instead I would just try to boil material in hcl. This way you shouldn't dissolve any values in the first place, but test with stannous anyways to be sure.

Alternatively you could mount a bunch of magnets on a 5 gallon pail and rotate it with the material inside. Set it on a very small slope with the bottom of the bucket open so the material falls into another bucket. Just clean out the first bucket after each pass. Just an idea.

Cheers! - Ian

butcher said:
naked magnet?

just a magnet and only a magnet

like a baby when it is born, naked with no clothes

sorry i have no other words for it butcher

Attachments

• naked magnet.jpg
    naked magnet.jpg
    1,001.8 KB
Arthur,
I put magnet in plastic bag. That then in plastic cup. When I catch iron then I move cup over container where I keep iron pins and pull plastic bag with magnet from cup. Fast, efficient and can be scaled up to bigger cups or containers.
My results from many test batches of IC from RAM is average 1,5g from kilogram.
When you have IC with legs or thick variety they run slightly less but no less than 1g. (1-1,3)
When you have IC without legs or thin variety they run slightly more than 1,5g (1,7-1,8)
So from mixed lots I would expect approx 1,5g / kilogram but to be on safer side I will go with 1,25 average.
Do check your waste solutions for Ag and Pd, they are there and can be some profit on the side, same as with silver in karat gold or CPU.

necromancer,
I was just joking, I never thought about a magnet with no cloths on.

Rusty,
I am assuming that is an 12 volt electromagnet off of something like trailer brakes, if so are you running it off of the battery charger, do you know about how much current it takes? I like the idea.

butcher said:
necromancer,
I was just joking, I never thought about a magnet with no cloths on.

Rusty,
I am assuming that is an 12 volt electromagnet off of something like trailer brakes, if so are you running it off of the battery charger, do you know about how much current it takes? I like the idea.

Trailer brake magnet powered up with battery charger.

Latest posts

Back