Resin Resistance (How strong is the dvb gold magnet)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNIndustry

This is mainly for Palladium but I thought Id thrhow it out there for all to share.

I have 6x 1.2 L columns
2 have resin in them.(xad-7)
One is a fixed bed (meaning packed tightly) and the other is fluidized bed (75%resin, 25% 1n HCl)
Now I have read that the max loading capacity of the resin is 30g Au / L but the realistic working capacity is more like 20g/L
Thats fine.
The recomended concentration is 2.5-4 N Free chlorine but I am having trouble quantifying Au feed concentration. That patent was really helpful.
Plain as day says that only gold is retained on the XAD-7. Everything else passes through.
Also states that it sticks at the top and does not migrate down.
This is hilarious because the first time I loaded it bright yellow at the top...never tricked down. I disassembed my entire pumping/tubing system. Thought it was busted.

Back to my question.
Some of the info ive found says 1.5g/L , some says 5g+/L.
How resilient is dvb and more importantly the NH2 (quaternary-amine ) ligand. I want to start stress testing this stuff but I need some input on where the "crazy" zone starts.
This stuff isnt cheap but it is virtually indefinite if I treat it well. Where does "Well" stop and "beaten like a red headed stepchild" begin?

Anyone who has any info or wants info...Post it here.
It has a steep learning curve... but thats what the forum is for.

It is not exactly cheap as refining in a 5 gallon pail...(seriously no offense anyone who does)
But having an almost fume free, highest purity everytime, no base metal garbage ever, system...
Totally fricken worth it.
Oh yeah...it can be automated..Thats what I am in the middle of.

Just fwiw, I'm no expert on resins by any means, but I have experimented with several Dow ion exchange resins as well as Dow and Purolite chelating resins. Also toyed with Johnson Matthey's supposedly magical Smopex "gold/Pt-specific" resin (Smopex-103). Each company CLAIMS their resins are very specific for this or that metal. Such has not been my experience. They all seem to attract silver and/or silver sulfide to the point of saturation, which of course is a deal killer when you're working with real-life ores and not standardized solutions in a lab. Now if I could find a resin "specific" for silver that was reasonably priced then I could make some money. In a nutshell, resins have frustrated the hell out of me, but then I'm doing ore and not e-scrap.

Latest posts

Back