Reusing NO2 from nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes me want to pose the question.

As the acid concentration gets higher, at some point it should reach a maximum, and lose its effectiveness at scrubbing the fumes. Wouldn't this be true?

If so, is the fall off in effectiveness sudden or gradual?

John

would hydrogen peroxide be a better liquid to pump the NO2 into? You would get nitric for every peroxide and no left of NO? just a thaught

jim

Jim

I'm not sure what concentration of H2O2 your speaking of, but my guess would be it would be cheaper to use distilled water and O2 gas.

John

The reaction in the scrubber where the N2O and O2 react forming HNO3 is probably most efficient when the water is pure H2O but that's where the height of your column comes in. The more possible reaction sites available the more chances for complete conversion. I'd guess that as the nitric acid concentration increases in the reservoir, the point in the scrubber where there is no more N2O available to react is higher up the column. It's easy to monitor the nitric concentration with a hydrometer and when the concentration is high enough, just siphon off the acid / water mixture and add deionized water. It's critical to use chloride free water. I would bet if you 'push' the column capacity to scrub until you see red fume out the bubbler, adding water would help, as would increasing the O2 flow.

use distilled water and O2 gas.
Two questions that pop up :

1, how are we adding the o2 gas in the scrubber? Like do we add water and then pump in the oxygen through a bubbler and seal it off? Or is there some other way to it?

2, Would we need to change the scrubbing bottle? lets say first we use nitric for our digestion and scrub the NO2. Now our next reaction is using HCl. Would it directly affect our scrubbed solution where we are trying to remake the nitric for a later use? If yes, then what would be the necessary action regarding the position of bottle be here?

Latest posts

Back