Revers electroplating query! please help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remb6464

Hello everyone :)

Just new to this forum, and I must say it is a pleasure to be here, very informative and plenty of juicy info.

I made my first reverse electroplating cell today.

Not much of a success I admit.

I am looking to use the stainless steel cathode technique, from what I can make out it's not as messy as other techniques.
(Well as far as recovery goes, it's not as messy in my opinion)

Anyhow I used 85% sulfuric acid as my electrolyte.
(And it didn't work, should I be mixing the acid with another substance first in order to make the electrolyte effective ? ? ?).

So here are my questions:

- Is the stainless steel cathode technique a good one to use in your opinion?

- What is the correct type of electrolyte formula used for this kind of recovery?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Welcome to the forum!

The obvious error I spot is that your sulfuric acid is too weak, it has to be at least 90% to work. Weaker than that and you will dissolve base metals. See http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6227&p=54620&hilit=sulfuric+cell+strength#p54620

Take time, read the forum, use the search function and read some more. Then you will find everything you need to succeed with your refining. There is a ton written about the sulfuric cell, it just takes some time to find it.

/Göran

Latest posts

Back