reverse plating art-deco clocks

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldClockMan

I have a collection of art deco clocks that are in varying states of dis-repair. Some are in terrible shape with most of the gold plating rubbed off, and some only need to be cleaned and shined.
I would like to know how I can remove and capture the 24K gold plating from these clocks. After making any needed repairs I will then replate them using the original gold mixed with as much new gold as will be needed to restore the clocks to their original look.
Can anyone tell me how I can accomplish my goal?
This is the celebrated Jefferson Golden Hour "Mystery Clock" (the hands seem to float in air without any connection to a motor) that is an icon of the 1950s.
This clock has a zinc base and bezel which have been plated with nickel and then overlaid with a 24k Gold finish. Dimensions are 8-7/8" high and 4-1/2" deep. The outside diameter of the dial is 7-7/16". Weight is 2.3 lbs.

DSCF0002a.jpg
DSCF0001a.jpg

I would try the sulfuric acid stripping cell. I'm not sure how the zinc will play into the reaction, but if you pull the parts out once the gold is gone, you should be ok on salvaging the stripped parts.

Try a small test sample on one of the more delapidated clocks and see if the results are suitable for your needs.

Let us know how it turns out.

Steve

You're dreaming in several ways.

(1) Decorative gold plating on items that will receive little or no wear tends to be very thin. I would doubt that the value is more than $.25 per square inch of plated area. It may only be half that, or less.

(2) Zinc die cast is usually from 70% to 95% zinc and aluminum and copper make up most of the rest. Zinc is a very active metal. It can be dissolved away from the gold with acids but, due to the heat generated, it can runaway on you. The gold MIGHT strip in the sulfuric stripper without eating the zinc. It would be iffy. All in all, whatever method you use, it could be difficult. If you have to dissolve the zinc, I would guess you would lose money.

(3) The biggest dream is thinking you can take the gold from this, easily make a workable plating bath from it, and then plate your parts. If you want to plate, buy a plating bath (and a tank, heater, filter, power supply, and platinum coated anodes). And, don't forget the nickel plating solution and accessories. Zinc is the most difficult-to-plate common substrate on the planet. To plate on zinc, you'll need lots more stuff and you'll really have to know what you are doing.

I'd take GSP at his word, if anyone here knows the plating business it's him.
As a side note if the substrate has been exposed to the environment for any length of time it also tends to start to corrode and that makes it almost impossible to replate successfully.

Don't underestimate the value of OEM parts.

The clocks sell well, so someone will need parts to repair theirs.

You should do well to sell them as parts donors.

Latest posts

Back