roasting and cuppel some cats.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meng2k7

hi,

is there anyone tried to recover PM's by cuppelation process?

i am planning to do some practices, thank you very much.

i appreciate all those informations coming. :|

meng

meng2k7 said:
hi,

meng

Are you talking combs or beads? I too would like to experiment with cuppeling. I have about 50 pounds of beads and crushed combs.

If you can get a nice fluid flux to pour you should be able to concentrate the PGM's by cupellation. Before cupelling the ground up powder has to be fused in a litharge based flux to concentrate all of the metals.

Years ago I added gold to the fusion so the resultant bead was soluble in Aqua Regia for ICP analysis. It worked for fusions on analytical samples and it should work for larger runs as well. You need not add gold if you are collecting it for refining.

I know Action Mining sells HUGE bone ash cupels which look like a cake when they come out of the furnace, they're that big.

goldenchild said:
meng2k7 said:
hi,

meng

Are you talking combs or beads? I too would like to experiment with cuppeling. I have about 50 pounds of beads and crushed combs.

heres what im planning to grind.

thank you.

Attachments

• Photo0275.jpg
    Photo0275.jpg
    91.9 KB
4metals said:
If you can get a nice fluid flux to pour you should be able to concentrate the PGM's by cupellation. Before cupelling the ground up powder has to be fused in a litharge based flux to concentrate all of the metals.

Years ago I added gold to the fusion so the resultant bead was soluble in Aqua Regia for ICP analysis. It worked for fusions on analytical samples and it should work for larger runs as well. You need not add gold if you are collecting it for refining.

I know Action Mining sells HUGE bone ash cupels which look like a cake when they come out of the furnace, they're that big.

hi,

can i use a large scorifying dish and an ordinary borax ( ftp://ftp.state.pa.us/pub/lipatts/Staging/msdspdfs-stg/009744.pdf ) for fluxing?

i will post the picture of my dish later. :|

thank you very much 4metals.

The fusion process I mentioned uses litharge, soda ash, silica and borax. It is done in a kiln at 1800 degrees to prepare samples for fire assay with an ICP finish. The powder must be fine (40 -60 mesh)

If you are using only borax where will the lead for the cupellation come from?

I don't know, and I kind of doubt, that a fusion in a litharge flux and cupellation is a viable method for quantity, it would take an exceptional amount of flux.

yes, it could take a kilo of borax for a kilo of ground honeycomb.

some folks here used lead ingot , is there any differences using between lead and litarge for PM's recovery?

thanks. :|

meng

meng2k7 said:
is there any differences using between lead and litarge for PM's recovery?

Yes, the oxidation potential of your charge/sample.

Elemental lead = Pb
Litharge = PbO

Cat refractory readily floats on molten lead and you won't get the direct contact you need to make a reasonable recovery. Metallic lead will only recover a small fraction of what is available.

Litharge powder can be blended in close contact with what you are trying to recover and reduced in place.

qst42know said:
Cat refractory readily floats on molten lead and you won't get the direct contact you need to make a reasonable recovery. Metallic lead will only recover a small fraction of what is available.

Litharge powder can be blended in close contact with what you are trying to recover and reduced in place.

hi qst42know!

what if i could stir the molten metal inside the scorifying dish while in high temperature?

is it possible that molten lead will touch all the PMs by stirring it with round bar and the remaining cat refractory will float over the molten lead?

thats what i observed. :oops:

thank you.

meng.

How much are you willing to leave behind?

And how would you know how much you left behind?

When I said it floats I mean it floats like a cork. I only played with a few chips of cat material in molten lead, when you push it down the lead moves away.

From my small experiment I think litharge would be essential for a reasonable recovery unless you have a furnace that rotated like a cement mixer.

qst42know said:
How much are you willing to leave behind?

And how would you know how much you left behind?

When I said it floats I mean it floats like a cork. I only played with a few chips of cat material in molten lead, when you push it down the lead moves away.

From my small experiment I think litharge would be essential for a reasonable recovery unless you have a furnace that rotated like a cement mixer.

ok, that explained a lot!

thanks mate!

BTW, here is the pictures of my dish.

Attachments

• Photo0282.jpg
    Photo0282.jpg
    65.5 KB
  • Photo0283.jpg
    Photo0283.jpg
    64.2 KB
  • Photo0281.jpg
    Photo0281.jpg