rock identification ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakabale

hi
i came accrossthis huge rock outcrop in the bush and wonder from visual appearances what it could contain
iam far from any material testing lab' would be glad for any pointersIMG_20240628_154553.jpgIMG_20240628_154549.jpg

hi
i came accrossthis huge rock outcrop in the bush and wonder from visual appearances what it could contain
iam far from any material testing lab' would be glad for any pointersView attachment 63545View attachment 63547
I'd expect scorpions and adders. If you were to take a sample of the brown oxidized vein and pan it out, it should give you some heavies to analyze.

I see a few quartz streaks which look to be of the 'molten rock' variety, given they are fairly linear, the dark rock looks pitted. It could simply be a folded basalt intrusion, or some type of mixed mineral sulfides, or a heavily weathered ancient hydrothermal deposit. It appears to be older than the surrounding rock, as that gap is where this newer, lighter-colored rock passed through it and shifted the deposit. That means it's been exposed to metamorphosing conditions, and it may have been altered significantly.

It's absolutely impossible to determine anything more that to say, "It's a dark-colored rock." from just pictures.

We need at least its basic physical characteristics: density, hardness, and so forth.

Back