Rusty old tool how can I deal with it.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NoIdea said:
My dad taught me that boiling the rusted object with old engjne oil is effective, it lubricates and removes any moisture and more times than not it frees up stuck joints.

Deano

A neighbor installed a replacement engine into a Mazda pickup truck then let it sit long enough the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel and pressure plate and would not release.

Transmission shop quoted a price into the hundreds to fix, neighbor offered me $100.00 to do the job which I gladly accepted.

Rigged up a hose attachment to a 20 lb propane cylinder filled with propane to use as a propellant to operate my pneumatic chisel. jacked the truck up removed the dust cover from the bell-housing then using a blunt chisel against a piece of brass placed onto the flywheel my wife depress the clutch pedal. Turned the flywheel a third and repeated the operation.

When I started up the engine the clutch now working perfectly could get the truck into gear, easy $100.00.

Other uses for the air chisel, rusted and stuck parts, use a blunt chisel against a chunk of brass while the hammer vibrates the stuck parts spray on some WD-40, what your going to see is the penetrating oil easily works its way between the rusted pieces with rust flushing out with the excess oil.

All else fails bring out the torch.

rusty said:
NoIdea said:
My dad taught me that boiling the rusted object with old engjne oil is effective, it lubricates and removes any moisture and more times than not it frees up stuck joints.

Deano

A neighbor installed a replacement engine into a Mazda pickup truck then let it sit long enough the clutch plate rusted to the flywheel and pressure plate and would not release.

Transmission shop quoted a price into the hundreds to fix, neighbor offered me $100.00 to do the job which I gladly accepted.

Rigged up a hose attachment to a 20 lb propane cylinder filled with propane to use as a propellant to operate my pneumatic chisel. jacked the truck up removed the dust cover from the bell-housing then using a blunt chisel against a piece of brass placed onto the flywheel my wife depress the clutch pedal. Turned the flywheel a third and repeated the operation.

When I started up the engine the clutch now working perfectly could get the truck into gear, easy $100.00.

Other uses for the air chisel, rusted and stuck parts, use a blunt chisel against a chunk of brass while the hammer vibrates the stuck parts spray on some WD-40, what your going to see is the penetrating oil easily works its way between the rusted pieces with rust flushing out with the excess oil.

All else fails bring out the torch.

Hope you weren't smoking! :shock:

Vinegar and clear coat! works every time. it only reacts with the iron oxides since vinegar isn't an strong enough acid to attack the iron metal

kkmonte said:
Hi Butcher, thanks for posting this for me. Sorry I thought there was an easy answer.

The tool in question is a 2000 lb old planer that I want to restore. So kind of tough to soak the entire thing in oil. :) I am going to be taking it down and pulling as many pieces as I can so the little pieces I can certainly soak.. Maybe i'll try the Citric Acid or the stuff from true value.

Here is a picture of the tool, thanks for the info everyone!

planer.jpg

Hello Members

I have used a mixture of molasses and water to remove rusty old antique engine parts.

1 part Molasses to 3 parts water to a volume that suits the cause. Drop the parts in and get on with something else to about 2 months. Take them out and wash off. It worked all right for me.

I,ve just looked up a URL for the same thing for you.

http://historicalcycleclub.com.au/news/2015/4/2/molasses-for-rust-removal-the-suck-it-and-see-experience

Kind Regards

m82a1m

Back