saturation of cell. help needed!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarnevo1

I built a cell and i have question. How do you know when acid is satureted? I used 1l of acid and striped around 400 g of pins and process becomes slow. In the begining current was around 12V and 6A and latter after this 400 g of pins current is only 1A and proces is slow. There is some sediment on the bottom it loks like mud. I used stanlies steel mesh and mesh and pins are intacted by acid. Acid temperature was around 35 celsius. Is that a sign for acid saturation?

solarnevo1 said:
I used stanlies steel mesh and mesh and pins are intacted by acid.
Your mistake was probably using stainless steel mesh instead of copper. The stainless is attacked and your acid is now contaminated. Your gold will be in the mud on the bottom. Next time, you'll do better if you find some copper mesh.

Dave

Thanks alot. I dont see any signs of mesh being worn out by acid! Is it posible that mud on bottom is short cuting the cell?

As Dave pointed out your mistake was using stainless, read and understand what exactly occurs using this cell, it's not sulphuric your actually using to strip!

Latest posts

Back