Scrap cell phone boards on eBay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bswartzwelder

Time and time again, I have seen people selling scrap cell phones and scrap cell phone boards on eBay. If you purchase the phones, you have to take them apart and you end up with a lot of junk including speakers, microphones, plastic and metallic housings and batteries. The batteries are another headache to deal with by themselves. Most of the time when you purchase just the boards, you might get a good deal in the number of hours you save by letting someone else take them apart and deal with the scrap plastic, metal and batteries.

Usually when they sell just the boards, they do not contain any of the LCD screens. My question is: why are they keeping the LCD screens? It almost seems like there is more value in those dang screens than there is in the phones themselves. At any rate, I am amassing quite a few pounds of these screens and would hate to throw them in the trash if there is any value in them. By the same token, how much in value can you extract from say 50 pounds of the screens?

You as a home refiner will be hard pressed to get any value out of the LCD screens. Some contain some metals of value but nothing it large volumes. On ebay they probably keep the screens just so they can say there is nothing but high grade boards for sale.

Eric

I would say Cell Phone Boards are Good Since its practically Like Gold Fingers Where all the buttons Are its just there a pain in the xxx to scrape off if you only have a knife to use :) you might be able to sell te lithium Batterys to an e scrap yard per pound
http://s762.beta.photobucket.com/user/jedaprin/media/CELL_PHONE_CIRCUIT_BOARD_zps3b8f749f.jpg.html
Heres a Pic

But Lcd Screens Also May Contain Lead Mercury and other hazordous Materials and I just came Accross an Article Where
Law

As of June 2010, many states have passed electronics recycling laws and established electronics recycling programs. At the federal level, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act dictates the disposal of hazardous waste, which includes computer monitors, particularly CRT monitors. This law is enforced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Currently, households are exempt from this federal law.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/150711-why-do-computer-monitors-need-to-be-recycled/#ixzz2HLW6eY4x

So it may Be illegal To Ship Cell Phone Screens

Clean up your language. I recommend the use of the word butt

Harold

Cell phone screens liquid crystal displays and CRT monitors or a picture tube from a TV are completely different, how they work is different, and are how they are made is different, about the only thing I can think of in common is the glass and even that can be different CRT and TV will use lead glass.

Only flat screen monitors/TV:s contain mercury, and then only the ones with cold cathode fluorescent tubes. For example plasma and LED TV:s does not contain mercury.

Göran

Latest posts

Back