Selling 1964 and older Silver coins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babytrilly

Does anyone know of an out for 90% silver US coins? As part of buying gold from some customers we are asked to take silver coins. We would need to pay 95% of the value of silver. Is there anyone buying large quantities of silver coins for closer to spot? I'm talking quantities over $5000 every week. That is just for one customer.

Also looking for anyone paying more than 93% on sterling silver flatware. All knives have their blades removed. Anything questionable we XRF after drilling and would not buy if not sterling or is filled. Again, quantities would be in excess of $5000-10,000 weekly.

Thank you very much.

I'd be happy to buy some of your coins but I can't handle that kind of volume. You probably want to deal with tulving. www.tulving.com

You would be far better off quoting quantities here rather than prices, if the market falls out for Silver then $5000 could be a lot more Silver then first thought.

You would be far better off quoting quantities here rather than prices, if the market falls out for Silver then $5000 could be a lot more Silver then first thought.

Thanks you are right, I'm talking 120-150 and more Toz of pre-1964 silver coins that a client gets weekly. It varies some, but I need an out for that and it has to be >95%. At times junk silver caries a premium and a lot of people want to buy silver coins but don't want to shell out huge $$$$ with the coin dealers. I could provide with smaller quantities for individual investment. The problem is turning the money over fast to keep buying and the swings in the price of Silver. It's a shame to refine coins when there is so much other silver around.

I have a place I could get close to spot on refined silver, but the issue of time to do it and my attempts so far are taking too much time. I don't like the "mud" I get from the sodium formate method, or the mud from the Cu cementation. It takes too long to wash/filter. I guess with practice it be faster. I also have to experiment pouring a bar without a surface coloring.

Ebay with $10.00 face value lots on a three day auction. Some coins may sell higher depending on condition. There is no limit of listings on ebay, or you can show multiple lots available.
Mark

babytrilly said:
I have a place I could get close to spot on refined silver, but the issue of time to do it and my attempts so far are taking too much time. I don't like the "mud" I get from the sodium formate method, or the mud from the Cu cementation. It takes too long to wash/filter. I guess with practice it be faster. I also have to experiment pouring a bar without a surface coloring.
I'm not convinced you're going to be able to pour a bar without color unless you part the silver in a cell. No amount of washing is going to purify the silver to an acceptable standard, assuming you're trying to meet industry standard on pure silver.

Harold

I'm not convinced you're going to be able to pour a bar without color unless you part the silver in a cell. No amount of washing is going to purify the silver to an acceptable standard, assuming you're trying to meet industry standard on pure silver.

Harold

I induction melted 5 Toz bars to get them to look good but got some discoloration on the surface. The purity is 999+ by XRF but visually you can see some discoloration. I have not tried to wash in warm 5% H2SO4 to try to wash off the flux, yet. If I make silver bars for sale (as opposed to just turning over the material for cash flow) then I want to make sure they meet the most exacting standards.

I am going to set up a silver cell because I think you are right on that count. Washing large crystals is also easier than washing "mud". I'll do a 1 L cell and maybe scale up to a 4 L one if successful. Does anyone have advise on the scale up? Sometimes it is not a matter of just doubling, or quadrupling up things.

Thank you for the thoughts.

The discoloration your talking about, is this just some frosting on top? If the XRF is saying 999 purity then as Harold will tell you that very pure Silver will have an ugly surface appearance.

Take a look at mine i scanned for you, i made these last week after processing cemented Ag in my Silver Cell. Mine has some slight frosting on top and a crystal lake on top but it has been purified through a Silver Cell and should be .999 fine.

Please excuse the Borax and scratches on the surface.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    835.4 KB · Views: 238
As soon as I get the silver refined via the electrolytic cell I will post a picture. The stuff I poured via the induction melting has some slight yellowish tint in some areas. A couple of the bars I poured and re-melted a few times to get the "hang of it" and those have a slight purplish tint on one side of the bar. I actually poured little 5 ozT cubes because they fit right back into the 2" crucible opening so it can be re-melted.

I am surprised that you say
The discoloration your talking about, is this just some frosting on top? If the XRF is saying 999 purity then as Harold will tell you that very pure Silver will have an ugly surface appearance.
. I started to go down the road to build a cell because I thought the purity had to be higher in order to get a good looking bar. I was very impressed with the bars kadriver and Lazersteeve have poured. What makes their bars so gorgeous? I understand their bars were from silver cell refining.

Thanks for the comments.

Take a look at my new thread here on silver Bars i made recently.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10225

Back