Semi closed vacuum scrubber design

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
autumnwillow said:
It may be hard to understand without the drawing but when I finish it I'll post it here on a separate thread, its either I go with the closed system vacuum setup or my re-invented scrubber setup.

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
And I am sorry for the confusing posts. It is true that some my posts are no longer related to the topic of the thread.

though I "think" I understand your idea as you explained it in righting I can't quite visualize it so yes a drawing would be really nice before I comment further

Pease keep it "all" posted here in this thread because it is "all" related to the topic of this thread

You started out asking about scrubber design & we are still talking about scrubber design - we are just talking about different variations/options in design to figure out what will fit your needs & work for you - so its better to keep it all in the same thread thereby keeping the thought process of working the design out consolidated in one place for future information & referencing to other members

will wait to see your drawing

Kurt

Here are the drawings.

The drums are pvc blue drums they are resealable for ease of cleaning and dosing.
They are slightly tilted on purpose so as to make the water flow easier to drain.

All large pipes will either be 6" or 4" diameter. All small pipes are 1" in diameter.

I think that the 1st eductor(top left part) should not be connected to the water, I just think that the sprayers wont work because of the pressure. Any thoughts?

The base to support the structure will either be pvc pipes or marine plywood.

Attachments

• 20151123_161151_resized.jpg
    20151123_161151_resized.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 442
  • 20151123_160613_resized.jpg
    20151123_160613_resized.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 20151123_160658_resized.jpg
    20151123_160658_resized.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 442
no, No, NO

And that is what I thought - you are trying to incorporate 3 systems - each of which is "supposed" to preform a specific task - into a single system to preform all of the tasks

In other words you are trying to incorporate a vacuum system --- with an air "pushing" blower system --- with an air "drawing" blower system --- & expecting that you can control which function you want the system to preform simply by opening &/or closing certain ball valves --- it NOT going to work --- you NEED to have a system - each its own - designed to preform its task - based on system working requirements --- meaning ----------

A vacuum system NEEDs to be a vacuum system "working on its own"

An air pushing system NEEDs to "working on its own" at pushing air

An air drawing system NEEDs to "working on its own" at drawing air

You are WAY over complicating things here AND there are many things that can & WILL go wrong with the system you have drawn out & there is no way I am going to try to explain it all

You want a system to scrub "heavy fuming" that occurs during full blown reactions - follow the instructions provided for building a "vacuum" scrubber to be used for this task - this can be done cheap & simple

Then - make a scrubber for your fume hood - this can also be done cheap & simple - if you need help with it ask & I &/or others will help with it

Then - build a "bag house" system for your incinerator (&/or melting/smelting set up) this can also be done cheap & simple - if you need help with it ask & I &/or others will help with it

This will make your systems (each there own) fail safe --- the system (all in one) you have drawn out - is not fail safe

Also --- I see you have included cyanide treatment into the same system that is treating acids - that is a very, VERY bad idea - cyanide & acid should NEVER be worked with in the same system --- keep them COMPLETELY separate - or you may not live to tell us about it

Kurt

Oh well, back to the vacuum setup then. Thanks for the advice. I knew there could be something wrong with this setup. Especially now that I am pumping compressed air in the setup.

Can I at least use the wet scrubber for both my incinerator and fume hood (without any eductors)? The baghouse concept I think is covered by the cyclone separator.
My incinerator will also be the place to melt gold, cemented silver, etc. I believe some of the chemicals like nitrates can have a small ppm in it or lets say a small amount of silver chloride, so exposing it to just a baghouse will not completely treat it.

Kurt said:
Then - build a "bag house" system for your incinerator (&/or melting/smelting set up) this can also be done cheap & simple - if you need help with it ask & I &/or others will help with it
If it won't go off thread I would like to know more, please. My gas-fired pyrolysis reactor is ready but never fired up, excluding small tests, it includes a coke-fired after burner too.

Marco

autumnwillow said:
Can I at least use the wet scrubber for both my incinerator and fume hood (without any eductors)? The baghouse concept I think is covered by the cyclone separator.
The short answer is yes - The question is whether or not doing so is your best option

Marco wrote; - If it won't go off thread I would like to know more, (concerning baghouse)

No it wont go off thread to discuss it here - the thread may have started asking about "vacuum scrubber design" but it has evolved into discussion of fume control in general so I think we can continue the course it is taking --- if the mod's then decide to split (as it evolves) it they can certainly do so

For the next couple (few) days I am going to be busy so it may be a few days before I get back to posting more info

Kurt

kurtak said:
You are WAY over complicating things here AND there are many things that can & WILL go wrong with the system you have drawn out & there is no way I am going to try to explain it all

I did my research and I won't use the vacuum scrubber vessels for cyanide destruction, I would use caustic and bleach instead.

Assuming that I will get a higher head pump that can draw an air vacuum on the eductor.
Would you kindly enumerate some of the things that could go wrong?

Back