Seperating Silver from Gold in Large Amounts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collector

Hello, for years I have brought in my scrap gold to a local refinery and now am interested in extracting the other metals that I am not getting paid on in the gold. Most of the lots that I do are at least a kilo and wondering if there is a method that would allow me to do so based on the size of the bars that I produce. To start I know i would need a furnace capable of a few kilos. I read up and researched on inquarting but seems that most of these are done on smaller amounts and for the hobbyist. I have been doing alot of reading so if I could get pointed in the right direction if this is even feasible or not, I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome. You are definitely doing the right thing reading and studying before acting. I believe you will find that most posters here do not use furnaces for the purpose of "separating" metals. Without telling you that I am any kind of expert or tribal elder, furnaces do not separate. Indeed, many of the more veteran posters here kind of shun furnaces for various reasons. I will leave it to you to discover on your own why they feel that is so. But one of the major reasons is the whole issue of crucibles and their cost and their limited life or, the frequency of replacement to put it in different terms. To separate metals, chemical processing is required.

One of the things I note about all that I have learned on this forum is the incredible degree to which "one thing leads to another" in PM refining. When you/we speak of "refining", this lengthy thought exercise is created....do you have access to enough material to make this worth it? Can you source the chemicals? The glassware? The safety gear? The way to handle waste? The fumes? The ability to leave stuff to settle without being disturbed by kids/pets?

And the last very general thought I will leave you with is, if you are speaking about obtaining platinum, palladium, and rhodium fractions from your scrap gold, the market is quite punitive to those who have smallish amounts. Those Kitco numbers at the bottom of the screen, you're not going to make those kinds of numbers from 3 grams of Pt. You need multiple ounces before most buyers will talk to you. This goes to the "feasibility" discussion.

Lou said:
What is a large amount?

That'll dictate what method to choose.

like I said in my earlier post i usually do a minimum of 1 kilo. Usually between 1-3 kilos.

Thanks.

Sounds like the ideal candidate for inquarting, shotting and digestion. There is lots of info on all these steps here.

Yup. Probably a good idea. If you're careful with your parting, you can get 999 fine gold with inquarting.

Latest posts

Back