Silver Cell Crystal Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grassbur

I ordered a Cathode (Hardened Graphite) from Lazersteve, washed it, and started the cell. It is working well, except the crystals have a Dark Gray tint to them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• Silver Cell.jpg
    Silver Cell.jpg
    368.6 KB
It looks kind of dark in that room, maybe that's why.
With more light in the room, I think they would look cleaner & brighter to you.

Phil

Sorry guys. My garage is not very well lit. I Brought the cell in the bathroom and I can still see a dark gray tint. I will take a picture inside so maybe you guys can see it

How about the material you used for the bag, is it tight enough to keep the black sludge from coating the crystals?

Just a thought...

Phil

Maybe you should share your cell's parameters... this can give us better picture.

samuel-a said:
Maybe you should share your cell's parameters... this can give us better picture.

It is Lazersteve's Cell. The few differences are as follows:

I am not using a 1L beaker, I am using a square glass vase (from Hobby lobby) and it takes 1.5L of electrolyte.
Cathode - Hardened Graphite (From Lazersteve)
Basket - Plastic box, similar to the one Lazersteve employs
Basket Liner - Cotton canvas and coffee filters
Anodes- 15 ozt (roughly) of melted silver cement ( I did not pickle to remove excess borax and maybe that is causing the problem)

I personally don't know Steve's cell parameters...

By details, i meant: Concentration, a/c spacing, voltage, current density, temp' and possible contaminates...

If you could answer this, you potentially could answer your questions by yourself...

samuel-a said:
I personally don't know Steve's cell parameters...

By details, i meant: Concentration, a/c spacing, voltage, current density, temp' and possible contaminates...

If you could answer this, you potentially could answer your questions by yourself...

Concetration - The only thing I am unsure of, I bought lab grade Silver Nitrate for my supply house and it dos not specify the amount of silver in the Solution.

A/C Spacing is roughly 3 to 4 inches

Voltage is 3.5 Volts at 1.05 amps (3 square inch anode surface are)

Temp - 67 degrees F

Possible Contaminates - Graphite from cathode, Borax from Melting anodes

What was the source of the original dore bar?

My first run of Ag from a combination of photographic scrap (from fixer and film) and silver solder (with Cd and Cu) dropped with salt was not washed well before cementing (using H2SO4 and iron) and some Cu and Cd carried over leaving the crystals with a dull appearance I think.

A second run through the cell at a lower voltage (~2.8 v) and a better bag left me with a better looking final product.

publius said:
What was the source of the original dore bar?

My first run of Ag from a combination of photographic scrap (from fixer and film) and silver solder (with Cd and Cu) dropped with salt was not washed well before cementing (using H2SO4 and iron) and some Cu and Cd carried over leaving the crystals with a dull appearance I think.

A second run through the cell at a lower voltage (~2.8 v) and a better bag left me with a better looking final product.

The majority came from Scrap Sterling Flatware and Jewelry. I also had 5 90% coins but it was minimal compared to the overall amount

Could be chloride or sulfate contamination in the electrolyte.

Did you add water to the electrolyte?

If so was it tap or distilled?

Steve

lazersteve said:

Steve

I use distilled water from Wal mart.

Grassbur said:
lazersteve said:

Steve

I use distilled water from Wal mart.

They probably fill those bottles with tap water in China.

Jim

Latest posts

Back