Silver chloride conversion issues

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver chloride will melt and remain as silver chloride at a lower temperature than the Silver metal melts. It indicates two things, one, the conversion to Silver metal was incomplete, and two the melt was not a homogenous mix so the chlorides melted but they all did not get hot enough to reduce to metal.

Silver Chloride that has been melted can be poured and it will appear to be slag like and brittle.

The chlorides can be tumbled in a 10% sulfuric acid solution with a few iron nails. As the iron contacts the chlorides they will reduce to metallic Silver.
Thanks a ton!

I would start dissolving everything again.
Rinse the “vinaigrette” with hot distilled water and decant several times.
Then fill everything with nitrogen and boil a little, stirring.
Some of the reduced chloride will dissolve.
Then I would drain the acid through a filter and work with it through chloride, only reducing it with aluminum and hydrochloric acid.
I would fill the precipitate undissolved in nitric acid with the first water that remained after converting the nitric solution into chloride + hydrochloric acid.
I would throw aluminum there and try to restore this sediment, which turned into chloride..
washing again, bringing the psh to neutral and again nitric acid...
Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything correctly though, did you mean nitric when you mentioned nitrogen?? What is the "vinaigrette"?

No, this is the metallic silver that was poured out of the crucible into cold water, this is the melted silver that was in the crucible that contained both melted silver and the unmelted crumbled pieces. The crumbled pieces (which contain small pieces of melted silver buttons) was taken out of the crucible and placed on the left of the graphite mold in the corningware, while the melted silver was poured into cold water. To add clarity, the pictures do not contain any silver chloride prior to the lye/sugar conversion, everything in the pics is after the lye/sugar conversion. I probably should have stated this beforehand.

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything correctly though, did you mean nitric when you mentioned nitrogen?? What is the "vinaigrette"?
I think the Nitrogen is a typo.
Vinaigrette is Vinegar in French and since it is within hyphens I assume it is used in a transfered meaning.

No, this is the metallic silver that was poured out of the crucible into cold water, this is the melted silver that was in the crucible that contained both melted silver and the unmelted crumbled pieces. The crumbled pieces (which contain small pieces of melted silver buttons) was taken out of the crucible and placed on the left of the graphite mold in the corningware, while the melted silver was poured into cold water. To add clarity, the pictures do not contain any silver chloride prior to the lye/sugar conversion, everything in the pics is after the lye/sugar conversion. I probably should have stated this beforehand.
Just as I thought.

And this seems to give a stronger indication that the conversion was incomplete.
I guess you cleaned the AgCl thorughly before adding the Lye?

Can you share how you did it?
Approximately amounts and so on?

in this case, the vinaigrette is in a figurative sense
original name means :
Vinegret (Russian: винегрет[1]) or Russian vinaigrette is a salad in Russian cuisine which is also popular in other post-Soviet states. This type of food includes diced cooked vegetables (red beets, potatoes, carrots), chopped onions, as well as sauerkraut and/or brined pickles.[2][3][4][5] Other ingredients, such as green peas or beans, are sometimes also added
You also have a salad of chlorides, oxides, metallic silver..

:)
nitrogen - nitric acid

Latest posts

Back