Silver Chloride Silver Cell Contamination

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverMac18

So I have searched everywhere on this topic. On here and on the web. Can not find the answer to this. I’ve been using distilled water from Walmart. The same brand every time and have had no issues. Until now. Every time I make my electrolyte for the cell the liquid is clear. Then I add the distilled water and it clouds up so bad I can’t see the bottom of the cell. Is this just bad water. Should I have it tested for chlorine? I’m at a loss and scratching my head. I’ve even tried filtering the solution and it will not filter out clear. Can I still use this for my cell or is it ruined? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. As I’m at a loss on what to do.

If the water is not distilled, their chlorine content is very low (50-250 ppm). Hence you will not lose much by letting it settle for an appreciable time and decanting the upper layer to a clean bucket...

It’s distilled water from Walmart. I’ve used it on a other cells with no issues. Even used it this time to dissolve the sterling silver in. When I filter it off it’s crystal clear. But when I add that same water to the electrolyte it clouds up. It’s very strange that the exact same water I use to dissolve with clouds up afterward. I dunno. I ran the previous cell that clouded up and it formed a sheet of silver in the cell with crystals on top of the thin sheet lol.

A simple trick passed on by 4metals I believe is to use tap water and add a small amount of silver nitrate to the water, stir it well and allow to settle pour off or syphon the clear water and you have water you can use in the cell.

Back