Silver Chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grassbur

I was wondering. After cementing a few different batches, the remaining solution was put into to milk jugs and Rock salt was added in order to make sure no Silver was lost.

Some of the Jugs turned the normal Dark blue while others stayed green. Why is this? Are the copper levels higher in the green solution?

Attachments

• Chloride.jpg
    Chloride.jpg
    1.5 MB
What was the source of your solution that you were cementing the silver from? Maybe there were other base metal other than copper like nickel present as well.

I was going to make the same comments.

I've noticed that nicklel will give a greenish color to the solution after precipitating the silver, but if enough dissolved silver is still present, I won't get the "blue" copper color, either.
I've had the experience of salt not reacting when added to the solution, so I added a drop of HCL & had Agcl instantly.

The green container on the left might still have silver in solution &/or nickel. The blue might be barren of silver & it's blue copper color.

Phil

This is just a guess. If you use an excess of salt, you are producing mild aqua regia and the breakdown products are yellow and, yellow + blue = green. I have noticed that when I use HCl to drop AgCl from copper bearing nitric solutions, it always turns yellow at the spot where I add the HCl. I have also noticed that, if I add a great excess of HCl to the nitric, the solution turns greenish.

I would dissolve the salt before adding it and add (in increments) just enough to precipitate all of the silver as silver chloride. I would stir it briefly after the additions. You can test for completion by letting it settle a bit from the surface and adding a single drop of salt water to the surface of the solution. If it produces a white cloud where you dropped it, you need more salt water. To get an idea of how much salt it will take, 1 gram of pure dry salt, when dissolved, will precipitate 1.84 grams of silver.

I prefer using HCl instead of salt. Both rock salt and table salt contain solid impurities which would end up being mixed with the AgCl and this may, or may not, be undesirable. One ml of 31% muriatic acid will precipitate about 1.05 grams of silver. If you're using 37% HCl, 1 ml will precipitate about 1.29 grams of silver.

Also, if you know, fairly accurately, how much HCl you have added, without using an excess, you can easily make a calculation from the above figures and get a good idea of the amount of silver you have precipitated. The same way with the salt. I have also used this method to roughly titrate the silver in a sample of a silver nitrate solution, in order to get an idea of how much silver was in there. On a more precise scale, there is a old, standard, very accurate, method of silver analysis called the Guy Lussac method that is based on essentially the same thing.

I changed my mind on this blue/green color thing. I still think that you used more excess salt in the greenish solutions than in the blue solutions, but my reasoning for the colors is different. Copper (II) chloride, hydrated, is blue green. Copper nitrate is blue. I would call the solution on the left blue-green and not green. I think you added so much salt to the blue-green ones that they are now mainly copper chloride. The blue solutions have less salt in them, so they are still primarily copper nitrate. Makes sense to me. The aqua regia thing might produce a little yellow but the main contributor to the blue green color is the copper chloride you made when you added too much sodium chloride (salt).

If you were to make up a copper nitrate solution, add the same amount of this solution to about 6 test tubes, add certain, increasing amounts of salt solution to test tubes #2 through #6, and then add water to make them all even, you would have a spectrum of colors ranging from full blue in #1 to full blue-green in #6.

Very interesting GSP. I especially thank you for the calculations for I am sure they will be needed.

The only point I can bring up about the colors is that they did not change when I added the Rock salt. They both became a little lighter because of the Chloride (i assume) but the strong green was evident as soon as i filtered the solution (before cementing).

I just want to be sure that I am not throwing out any PMs because after cementing and chloride I raise the PH back to 7 and dispose.

I can see that you have this issue running in your mind and I greatly appreciate it.

Not to get you off track, just something else to consider, the dilution with water can give different colors, other metals in solution can give a different color (like Palladium in nitric acid solution of silver will).

I offer this advice. Any time a solution that is expected to be copper is green, it should be tested with stannous chloride. Both platinum and palladium will dissolve in the presence of silver, so the coloration can be from one of them, or both.

Harold

Grassbur said:
I just want to be sure that I am not throwing out any PMs because after cementing and chloride I raise the PH back to 7 and dispose.

Legally, you can't just neutralize it and dispose of this with the copper in it. The copper will be in the form of a copper hydroxide or carbonate and both are considered toxic waste. The copper must be in metallic form before it can be disposed of. The copper needs to first be cemented by iron. Search for proper waste disposal. I'm thinking that 4metals and others have covered it quite well

goldsilverpro said:
Grassbur said:

Legally, you can't just neutralize it and dispose of this with the copper in it. The copper will be in the form of a copper hydroxide or carbonate and both are considered toxic waste. The copper must be in metallic form before it can be disposed of. The copper needs to first be cemented by iron. Search for proper waste disposal. I'm thinking that 4metals and others have covered it quite well

I currently refine on the weekends so my disposal process is as follows.

After cementing and adding salt, the remaining solution goes into a 5 gallon bucket with 2 pieces of Angle Iron in it.

It sits for a week and then the next weekend I will filter the copper cement and remove the Iron.

I then neutralize to 6.5-7 and pour it in a hole in the woods. Is this not satisfactory.

Grassbur said:
I then neutralize to 6.5-7 and pour it in a hole in the woods. Is this not satisfactory.

The sewer system will handle it just fine, no need to poisen the trees :shock:

Latest posts

Back