Silver dissolves back

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesilemb

I am newbie :)

But yea, I did a mistake and added too much nitric.
After inserting copper wire into solution silver started actively form on copper and things looked rosy. After I returned next day, there was just a clear blue solution, no silver. Copper wire looked thinner. So I assume there was not enough nitric acid in the solution for reaction with copper, but silver was also not forming on copper.
What is the phenomena? Low acidicity? And how can I return my silver?

Thnx!

PS! I Have increased the solution tempeture to 70 degrees celsius, and some very little silver crystals have appeared on copper. Only very slowly

Attachments

• 20240628_194705.jpg
    20240628_194705.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000041491.mp4
    23.9 MB
You've already identified the mistake. You added too much nitric. When you put the copper wire in, the silver started to cement on it. But then, the excess nitric redissolved it. The dark blue is because of the copper that dissolved.

As BGDOCK said, the best remedy is to dissolve more silver until the nitric is used up. If you don't have any more silver, just keep adding copper until the nitric is consumed and you'll see your silver again.

You also don't want any of the copper extending out of the solution. The part outside the solution will oxidize and flake off into the beaker, contaminating your silver cement.

See When In Doubt, Cement It Out.

Try to keep the bugs (and all other living things) out of your solutions.

Dave

Rising temperature did not help. It appears that copper wire got protective coating of silver and nitric acid stopped to react. But as I inserted new clean copper wire reactio started immediately.

Attachments

• 1000041554.mp4
    30.9 MB
Back