Silver Or Not

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arisas

Hello i have some old keyboards and i opened one to see the contents of metals i made some test and as i sank them to a Nitric Acid with Water these pieces didn't dissolved, only the two bronze ones dissolved and the one with the thin copper layer and the gold line in the middle, the other three pieces didn't have any reaction i left them over night still the same next day

Attachments

• SAM_3783.JPG
    SAM_3783.JPG
    4.7 MB
  • SAM_3784.JPG
    SAM_3784.JPG
    4.3 MB
  • SAM_3782.JPG
    SAM_3782.JPG
    4.4 MB
  • SAM_3781.JPG
    SAM_3781.JPG
    4.3 MB
  • SAM_3780.JPG
    SAM_3780.JPG
    4.3 MB
Use a magnetic to test the metal. If it is attracted to the magnet it will be steel. None of the metal in the pictures has precious metal on them or in them.

I think that the thin yellow line on the copper foil is gold plated, so is also the tiny rivet in the middle of the square brass plate.
The rivet pops out if you place a sharp point of a diagonal cutter at the rivet and bends the plate 90 degrees. Works 90-95% of the time.

The rest of the material is brass, stainless (clamp) and ordinary steel (spring).

For those that doesn't recognize the parts, these are parts from a keyboard contact from the generation before low cost silver printed mylar keyboards became popular. Since the contact is made to work for millions of closures and there is a really low signal transmitted the surfaces are gold plated.

If you put something in nitric and it doesn't dissolve, what makes you think that it is silver?
I recommend (strongly) to read Hoke and to do the acquaintance experiments, at least for silver and gold.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I think that the thin yellow line on the copper foil is gold plated, so is also the tiny rivet in the middle of the square brass plate.
The rivet pops out if you place a sharp point of a diagonal cutter at the rivet and bends the plate 90 degrees. Works 90-95% of the time.

The rest of the material is brass, stainless (clamp) and ordinary steel (spring).

For those that doesn't recognize the parts, these are parts from a keyboard contact from the generation before low cost silver printed mylar keyboards became popular. Since the contact is made to work for millions of closures and there is a really low signal transmitted the surfaces are gold plated.

If you put something in nitric and it doesn't dissolve, what makes you think that it is silver?
I recommend (strongly) to read Hoke and to do the acquaintance experiments, at least for silver and gold.

Göran

thanks goran i just downloaded the hoke's books from the forum

Latest posts

Back