silver +pd dissolved in amonia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur kierski

i have a great quantity -----over 2 kilos of agcl and pdglyoxime dissolved in nh4oh -----
how one will act to separate the pd from the ag?

i thought of adding hno3 acid to the solution-----the pd would stay in solution and the ag would precipitate as agcl powder------is this correct?
if i add hcl instead of nitric,i would obtain yellow pd salt mixed with white silver chloride and i think it would be more work to do the separation---
thanks for any coments
Arthur

Hi arthur

I'm not so sure about the best way to deal with that solution but since no one picked up the glove so far, i thought i might suggest.

You probably be better trying this on a small scale first.
Try adding concentrated NaOH solution to precipitate Ag2O first.
Then HCl to precipitate the yellow pdglyoxime and calcine it.

dear Sam---as you said ,no answers----------so i did the following: to the amonea solution ,i added hno3---it formed a yellow white precipitate---to the liquid from the precipitate(after filtrating) i did a stanous test and it gave some pd----to the yellow white precipitate , i heated with nitric acid until the solution became redish yellow and the precipitate became white(agcl)----it worked,i have now agcl and a solution of pd nitrate-------as i do this often,the next batch i will follow your ideas---

thanks for the reply,
Arthur

yellow-white precipitate...?

Sounds link AgCl will need lots of washing to set free all that trapped Pd solution.
Removing solution trapped in AgCl is a b****...

Good luck.

samuel-a said:
yellow-white precipitate...?

Sounds link AgCl will need lots of washing to set free all that trapped Pd solution.
Removing solution trapped in AgCl is a b****...

Good luck.

absolutely true Sam!

Back