silver refining problem

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the melting dish can be cleaned fairly easily by soaking it in dilute nitric acid (~5%) overnight or with a little heating, then rinsed in water, then dried excessively, then very slowly heated before the next melt. melted borax doesn't really dissolve in water, but it does slowly dissolve in acid. nitric will dissolve any silver or copper BB's in the borax, which you can then cement with a copper bar later and add to your next melt.

from the look of that first ingot, I'd say the cemented silver was not washed well enough. It should be washed somewhere around 10 times the volume of cemented silver you have. I usually let the cemented silver settle, decant the copper nitrate, add water, stir, let settle, decant, repeat 3 more times, then pour cemented silver into a filter and rinse with water until absolutely no color remains in the filtrate. If it takes too long, put it back in the settle/decant step.

so the bar was marked 38.88g, but you weighed it to be 39.88g. What did you use to weigh it? digital scales are not exactly reliable, and require calibration with known standards. Mine says the 200g standard I have weighs 199.3g (I'm unable to calibrate it, but I do take this into account when doing calculations). The main reason for this is that gravity on earth is not constant for different areas. I hear some parts of Canada has the lowest gravity. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/missing-gravity.htm

thank you very much. i have decided to put it in nitric bath. tomorrow morning i'll check the results.

MysticColby said:
the melting dish can be cleaned fairly easily by soaking it in dilute nitric acid (~5%) overnight or with a little heating, then rinsed in water, then dried excessively, then very slowly heated before the next melt. melted borax doesn't really dissolve in water, but it does slowly dissolve in acid. nitric will dissolve any silver or copper BB's in the borax, which you can then cement with a copper bar later and add to your next melt.

from the look of that first ingot, I'd say the cemented silver was not washed well enough. It should be washed somewhere around 10 times the volume of cemented silver you have. I usually let the cemented silver settle, decant the copper nitrate, add water, stir, let settle, decant, repeat 3 more times, then pour cemented silver into a filter and rinse with water until absolutely no color remains in the filtrate. If it takes too long, put it back in the settle/decant step.

so the bar was marked 38.88g, but you weighed it to be 39.88g. What did you use to weigh it? digital scales are not exactly reliable, and require calibration with known standards. Mine says the 200g standard I have weighs 199.3g (I'm unable to calibrate it, but I do take this into account when doing calculations). The main reason for this is that gravity on earth is not constant for different areas. I hear some parts of Canada has the lowest gravity. http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/missing-gravity.htm

here it is the crucible after 14 hours of soaking, i think i'll leave it here for another day, seems to work great.
2013-12-03 13.12.53.jpg

and here my washed( 10 times with water and 3 times with boling distilled water...every time stirred and let it settle), dried silver powder, ready for melting. those are 69.1g
2013-12-03 11.39.57.jpg

the cemented silver will always look shiny and pure. it's the supernatant or filtrate that needs to be free of all color.
(supernatant = liquid above the settled silver, filtrate = liquid that passes through the filter)
Any color in either of these will likely be copper that is still contaminating the silver. If some is being washed away, there will be some left. By washing until all color is gone, that means there is no more being washed away, and no more left in the silver. Now, in practice, there will still be some that just can't be washed away, but that's to be expected (can't get cemented silver above ~99.4%)

melting dish looks good! the scorch marks may not come off, it could be soot or stain or copper oxide (which I believe wouldn't react with nitric) and not borax. Either way, it wouldn't interfere with future melts. Putting the bath on low heat (not boiling) will speed up the dissolving.

Latest posts

Back