Slag after melting pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Platdigger said:
You would then have an alloy of copper, silver and gold. Plus any zinc or tin you may have.
Much like rings and such. Just not as pretty.
So it would form a "blended" alloy and Not separate like the iron, silver, gold mix would ???
Well not the answer I was hoping for. Good thing I asked before trying. :p

Key to the gold/silver/iron mix is that silver and iron do not readily alloy. That's not the case with other elements, so if you mix tin or zinc in the alloy in question, they will readily mix to a homogeneous alloy. You can not count on melting to separate most (metallic) elements from one another.

You're likely to get a conflicting point of view on the alloy being homogeneous, as there is some evidence to support the notion that an alloy isn't necessarily homogeneous unless very well mixed (such as when melted by induction), but the variations one may discover are due to poor mixing, not because the elements choose to stratify upon pouring. The bonding forces are far greater than the force of gravity, so stratification would be extremely unusual with most metals.

Harold

Thanks Harold.
I now remember (with your help 8) ) when I read about the mix, it was pointed out the resistance to alloy between the iron and silver and that was what made the silver separate the iron from the gold.

Latest posts

Back