Sludge left after silver electrolysis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find your name fun :p.
In my experiments tin and nickel were nearly impossible to dissolve with hcl and without heat, and nickel won't go even with heat.
I wonder if complete dissolution in AR then cementing on copper would work? Cool cupel too.
Perhaps using peroxide instead of nitric would help against the metastannic.

Thanks andu!
According to their standard reduction potentials, for the Cu/Cu2+ pair it is 0.34V and for the Sn4+/Sn2+ pair it is 0.15V. How copper is oxidized and Sn is reduced, The potential difference gives a positive value, so, chemically, this could not happen.
This is assuming that in AR solution I have the Sn4+ ion. If, on the other hand, I have the Sn2+ ion and it is reduced to
Sn, would be the potential -0.14V. Due to the difference with copper, a positive potential also arises, so the reaction does not occur spontaneously either.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my experiments tin and nickel were nearly impossible to dissolve with hcl and without heat, and nickel won't go even with heat.
I wonder if complete dissolution in AR then cementing on copper would work? Cool cupel too.
I do not know how you conducted your experiments but Tin and Nickel are soluble in HCl, especially hot and dilute.

Tin is readily dissolved in HCl, Nickel is harder but in hot dilute HCl or Cupric Chloride etch it dissolves.
At least the Nickel plating under the Gold foils disappear in AP.
Hot dilute Sulfuric is even better for Nickel.

In sludge form it should be even easier, but it might be best to use HCl to remove the Tin and then Sulfuric for Nickel and Copper.
Then all that should be left will be Gold and Silver, dissolve the Silver in Nitric and then the Gold in either AR or HCl/peroxide or Bleach.
Drop it and refine again if you want.

How did you perform the tin HCl experiment?

Because tin dissolves in HCl. That's how you make stannous chloride.

If you do it yourself cupellation is not so expensive. You have many threads here on the forum were you can read about what you need and what to do

Tin itself would dissolve very slowly in 24% hcl barely bubbling at room temperature, nickel foils, from the 2kg of scsi neodymium magnets didn't dissolve eventho the solution reached 60ºc just by the heat of the reaction itself. Some copper that was on the mu metal the plating consisted of cemented back on the foil as shiny copper. Only way I managed to dissolve tin is with weak h2o2 or a bubbler along the hcl.

Tin itself would dissolve very slowly in 24% hcl barely bubbling at room temperature, nickel foils, from the 2kg of scsi neodymium magnets didn't dissolve eventho the solution reached 60ºc just by the heat of the reaction itself. Some copper that was on the mu metal the plating consisted of cemented back on the foil as shiny copper. Only way I managed to dissolve tin is with weak h2o2 or a bubbler along the hcl.
I have had no problem dissolving Tin for my Stannous or from boards, even unheated.

Tin itself would dissolve very slowly in 24% hcl barely bubbling at room temperature.
Yes, that is how tin dissolves in HCl. If you put fairly pure tin metal in HCl, you first give it some heat to get the reaction going. I usually put the vial of tin and HCl in a hot water bath to heat it gently. It will start to bubble slowly. Once it starts to bubble, I just let it all cool naturally. That's how I've made my stannous chloride in the past. The reaction will continue for quite some time, so I don't cap the vial until there is no more bubbling.

When you have mixed metals involved, the reactions can be different, especially if the various parts are in contact with each other.

Dave

I have had no problem dissolving Tin for my Stannous or from boards, even unheated.
Pure tin right? My alloy comes from silver electrolysis bags. I don't know why nothing works.
Dissolving it in hydrochloric acid was the first thing I tried, with heat, without heat... it doesn't work

Yes, that is how tin dissolves in HCl. If you put fairly pure tin metal in HCl, you first give it some heat to get the reaction going. I usually put the vial of tin and HCl in a hot water bath to heat it gently. It will start to bubble slowly. Once it starts to bubble, I just let it all cool naturally. That's how I've made my stannous chloride in the past. The reaction will continue for quite some time, so I don't cap the vial until there is no more bubbling.

When you have mixed metals involved, the reactions can be different, especially if the various parts are in contact with each other.

Dave
Ideally, treat them after removing them from powder electrolysis. But I have to say that at that time it is not found as tin metal either, since the electrolyte used is silver nitrate.
For another occasion, calcine the anodic bags and add hydrochloric acid to that. That's the right way right?

Pure tin right? My alloy comes from silver electrolysis bags. I don't know why nothing works.
Dissolving it in hydrochloric acid was the first thing I tried, with heat, without heat... it doesn't work
If there is a white crust on the Sn/Ag alloy, the silver chloride is isolating the tin.
Ideally, treat them after removing them from powder electrolysis. But I have to say that at that time it is not found as tin metal either, since the electrolyte used is silver nitrate.
For another occasion, calcine the anodic bags and add hydrochloric acid to that. That's the right way right?

Yes you need to create tin oxide which will dissolve in HCl and let’s hope this sorts your problem.

Hot dilute Sulfuric is even better for Nickel.
Hello,

I was thinking of dissolving the nickel plating on the AMD cpus for pure copper, bearing that in mind I did a search and found one of these methods among the many available. Although it isn't mentioned how long this process took, It still doesn't seem to have completely digested the nickel. Other than this, were nitric processes also available and I don't know why but those videos too didn't seem to have a 100% success with the dissolution. I've attached a video referring to the sulfuric and h202 technique. What here can be done for the complete digestion as I intend to aim for the nickel atop the surface only.

Hello,

I was thinking of dissolving the nickel plating on the AMD cpus for pure copper, bearing that in mind I did a search and found one of these methods among the many available. Although it isn't mentioned how long this process took, It still doesn't seem to have completely digested the nickel. Other than this, were nitric processes also available and I don't know why but those videos too didn't seem to have a 100% success with the dissolution. I've attached a video referring to the sulfuric and h202 technique. What here can be done for the complete digestion as I intend to aim for the nickel atop the surface only.

Youtube and similar Videos will get you seriously injured or killed.
Drop them!

And promoting the use of Piranha solution should be punishable by law.
It is so dangerous that not even the professional refiners use it.
It will eat your flesh straight from the bones, hence the name.

Hello,

If you are dissolving Nickel and want to keep the Copper.
Plain HCl is the way.
Both Nitric and Sulfuric will dissolve Copper.

Plain HCl is the way.
You guys are so well versed and knowledgeable, why do you not have your own youtube channels? May be the likes of us could learn a ton from you guys' visual content other than just posting here

So you're saying HCl here has more potential ? My post mentioned pirhana and that wasn't enough to eat the nickel away completely? Not that I question your info, but this has me more puzzled logically...

You guys are so well versed and knowledgeable, why do you not have your own youtube channels? May be the likes of us could learn a ton from you guys' visual content other than just posting here

So you're saying HCl here has more potential ? My post mentioned pirhana and that wasn't enough to eat the nickel away completely? Not that I question your info, but this has me more puzzled logically...
Nobody here use Piranha solution, way too dangerous.

As long as you keep air/Oxygen out of the HCl,
it will happily eat away the Tin Nickel and other metals and leave Copper alone.

Back