So i want to purchase some scrap can anyone help me out with a yay or ney

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some pics of boards, for 5 dollars each board. with only little room to negotiate can someone yey or ney this thankyou for any help. Also these are from airforce base they are mil spec i realize milspec means very little but in this case i think it may matter.IMG_3616.jpegIMG_3615.jpegIMG_3618.jpegIMG_3617.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't think it is worth it, at most the ones with purple chip that has the gold cover and you'll probably still lose money, now, it isn't much money and some look as nice pieces, as long as you can get only some i'd say yay, otherwise ney for most but don't expect to be earning.

They are quite old tho, i'm curious to see more experienced members opinion.

I have some oics of biards for 5 dollars each board with only little room to negotiate can someone yey or ney
Hey Procrastinator! I am also new to this great forum. I just want to urge you to try to avoid using "slang words" and abbreviations such as: "oics of biards, yey or ney" as I, even with a translation program, do not understand what "oics of biards" means. In all good intentions and so that you get good answers to your questions. Have seen similar boards before and there seems to be some value, but if they are $5 each, you probably need to get some more input from the pros here on the forum. And to be able to get that, you probably have to take better pictures with better sharpness. This is so that the professionals can see numbers and details on the components, among other things. And feel free to use some kind of reference, for example a rule of thumb or a coin etcetera. Or write the measurements in the text. These boards look consistently high class, but just because they look like that doesn't mean they are. Therefore, you need to take better pictures with more details. And then, for example, I, like many others here on the forum, do not speak English/American as a mother tongue, so try to avoid "slang words". And since the dialogues here on the forum often deal with the use of extremely dangerous acids and chemicals (many of which are precursors to explosive and extremely toxic substances/mixtures), a misspelled letter or number can mean the difference between life and death if it gets really bad. This is "only" my advice to you, all to facilitate your learning of knowledge here on the forum. I almost forgot the most important thing! Before you start mixing acids and wonder why you failed to precipitate any gold, despite a positive stannous test and before you end up with 25 liters of waste: -Study what is here on the forum first, there are several moderators and members who can give you a complete package with links to absolutely necessary basic sources of knowledge. And last but not least, write down a detailed plan of how you intend to implement your processes and post it in a thread here, and you will get the world's best feedback and suggestions on how you can optimize and eventually advance :)
/Dennis

I have some oics of biards for 5 dollars each board with only little room to negotiate can someone yey or ney this thankyou for any help. Also these are form airforce base they are mil spec i realize milspec means very little but in this case i think it matters.View attachment 57514View attachment 57515View attachment 57516View attachment 57517
For 5 dollars it will be well worth getting the experience of sorting, doing research, finding and recognizing the valuables on PCB's and how to process different components.
GO for it! You may get even more off them than 5 dollars in the end in pm's.

Beware of white ceramics (look up beryllium), mercury filled relays.

Think before you do, but don't overdo it....?!

So ask if you are not sure.

Have fun and be safe!

For 5 dollars it will be well worth getting the experience of sorting, doing research, finding and recognizing the valuables on PCB's and how to process different components.
GO for it! You may get even more off them than 5 dollars in the end in pm's.

Beware of white ceramics (look up beryllium), mercury filled relays.

Think before you do, but don't overdo it....?!

So ask if you are not sure.

Have fun and be safe!
Issuing white ceramics on picture above - you do not need to worry that much about them. As you do not need to crush them before processing. Throw it to the AR as it is and it will be completely fine. Berylium ceram intact, values completely leached out.
Of course, these nice gold plated chips are very appealing to collectors. Bad thing is that they are used. Good thing they are still on the board :)

What kind of mercury filled relays you are pointing out ?

I could not see the first board good enough to make out what is what, so just in general a heads up for hazardous components I know of or have encountered on PCB's.
Industrial stuff can have these, also like reed contacts with a drop of mercury in it. Not that i see them in his pictures, but still dangerous.
I have never opened them myself, just read the "Do not open, Mercury inside" warning. They are well sealed and opening them will have to be done with force. Which i did not, because mercury dissolves pm's as I understood and don't expect any pm's to be in there for that reason. will have to offer them for proper recycling some day.

Hey Procrastinator! I am also new to this great forum. I just want to urge you to try to avoid using "slang words" and abbreviations such as: "oics of biards, yey or ney" as I, even with a translation program, do not understand what "oics of biards" means. In all good intentions and so that you get good answers to your questions. Have seen similar boards before and there seems to be some value, but if they are $5 each, you probably need to get some more input from the pros here on the forum. And to be able to get that, you probably have to take better pictures with better sharpness. This is so that the professionals can see numbers and details on the components, among other things. And feel free to use some kind of reference, for example a rule of thumb or a coin etcetera. Or write the measurements in the text. These boards look consistently high class, but just because they look like that doesn't mean they are. Therefore, you need to take better pictures with more details. And then, for example, I, like many others here on the forum, do not speak English/American as a mother tongue, so try to avoid "slang words". And since the dialogues here on the forum often deal with the use of extremely dangerous acids and chemicals (many of which are precursors to explosive and extremely toxic substances/mixtures), a misspelled letter or number can mean the difference between life and death if it gets really bad. This is "only" my advice to you, all to facilitate your learning of knowledge here on the forum. I almost forgot the most important thing! Before you start mixing acids and wonder why you failed to precipitate any gold, despite a positive stannous test and before you end up with 25 liters of waste: -Study what is here on the forum first, there are several moderators and members who can give you a complete package with links to absolutely necessary basic sources of knowledge. And last but not least, write down a detailed plan of how you intend to implement your processes and post it in a thread here, and you will get the world's best feedback and suggestions on how you can optimize and eventually advance :)
/Dennis
My appologies it was before bed and I did not notice my spelling mistakes . It was not slang just my tired eyes.

Issuing white ceramics on picture above - you do not need to worry that much about them. As you do not need to crush them before processing. Throw it to the AR as it is and it will be completely fine. Berylium ceram intact, values completely leached out.
Of course, these nice gold plated chips are very appealing to collectors. Bad thing is that they are used. Good thing they are still on the board :)

so what will you do with the waste contents after PMs are leached?

Beryllium oxide is so bad I dont even want to go near it let alone start breaking it up i to dust

You treat it according to our dealing with waste here in the forum for the liquids.
https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/dealing-with-waste.10539/
Solids are disposed through proper disposal channels and regulations where you live.
Seems mostly to deal with disposal of acids.

I hear you. but does anyone with home setups have the ability to manage avoiding contamination from .00001g of Beryllium and does any local means of disposal cater for the safe disposal of such an obscure metal, which is too high on the periodic table to be found with even good handheld xrf testers and is so harmful, a single exposure could kill you now or 30 years down the line? I'd like to know if ppl here are aware of the dangers or even of the presence of this, (in massive quantities by safety standards in the gear they are dealing with

I hear you. but does anyone with home setups have the ability to manage avoiding contamination from .00001g of Beryllium and does any local means of disposal cater for the safe disposal of such an obscure metal, which is too high on the periodic table to be found with even good handheld xrf testers and is so harmful, a single exposure could kill you now or 30 years down the line? I'd like to know if ppl here are aware of the dangers or even of the presence of this, (in massive quantities by safety standards in the gear they are dealing with
We for the most part avoid Beryllium like the plague.
By treating it as per the link, we drop all metals as solid hydroxides which are filtered out.
Next if you suspect Beryllium has been in solution you could store it in shallow vessels/tubs until it evaporates
and then collect all solids and dispose these as per local regulations.

Chill. If you won´t grind it and snort it you will be fine. People wear neckleace or earrings with emeralds and they do not have any in their body - and yet it contains quite a bit of beryllium. There are beryllium bronze tools manufactured and yet people use them and live happy life. The beryllium is caked in the matrix of the ceramic. It is just another "rock" in the wiew of harm potential. Not anything that is espetially harmful.

Beryllium is exceptionally carcinogenic when INHALED as dust during metal processing. It is very toxic when some SOLUBLE beryllium compound is ingested or adsorbed through the skin.

Beryllium ceramic isn´t soluble in your body fluids, and if you do not inhale dust from it, it is indiferent, inert material that your body just ignore :)

Chill. If you won´t grind it and snort it you will be fine. People wear neckleace or earrings with emeralds and they do not have any in their body - and yet it contains quite a bit of beryllium. There are beryllium bronze tools manufactured and yet people use them and live happy life. The beryllium is caked in the matrix of the ceramic. It is just another "rock" in the wiew of harm potential. Not anything that is espetially harmful.

Beryllium is exceptionally carcinogenic when INHALED as dust during metal processing. It is very toxic when some SOLUBLE beryllium compound is ingested or adsorbed through the skin.

Beryllium ceramic isn´t soluble in your body fluids, and if you do not inhale dust from it, it is indiferent, inert material that your body just ignore :)

People will always find something to worry excessively about. Those white ceramic IC’s in his photo are not BeO, they’re just alumina ceramic. Beside the safety issues, BeO is also more expensive than alumina so is only used where needed. Due to its better heat transfer capabilities BeO is used for ceramic components that get quite hot during use, such as insulators in microwave tubes and as a substrate for high power output transistors. The form does make a difference also and it’s pretty safe as long as it isn’t broken and can’t be inhaled or pierce the skin. I liken it to barium as an example. Soluble barium compounds are poisonous, but people are routinely given a slurry of insoluble barium sulfate to drink as an radiopaque agent for visualizing the colon on scans. It can’t be absorbed so it passes out of the body without effect.

People will always find something to worry excessively about. Those white ceramic IC’s in his photo are not BeO, they’re just alumina ceramic. Beside the safety issues, BeO is also more expensive than alumina so is only used where needed. Due to its better heat transfer capabilities BeO is used for ceramic components that get quite hot during use, such as insulators in microwave tubes and as a substrate for high power output transistors. The form does make a difference also and it’s pretty safe as long as it isn’t broken and can’t be inhaled or pierce the skin. I liken it to barium as an example. Soluble barium compounds are poisonous, but people are routinely given a slurry of insoluble barium sulfate to drink as an radiopaque agent for visualizing the colon on scans. It can’t be absorbed so it passes out of the body without effect.
Beryllium ions are generated when dissolving any components with beryllium copper. Virtually ALL the common salts of beryllium are HIGHLY soluble.

Beryllium hydroxide forms as a gel when hydroxide is added to the acid salt and brought to near neutral pH. It dissolves both in strong acids and strong alkali. It changes form into a rhombic molecular configuration, which precipitates.

But, BeO is a very stable compound. It will only dissolve in concentrated HOT sulfuric acid mixed with ammonium sulfate. Nothing will happen to it in HCl, HNO3, or AR.

Beryllium ions are generated when dissolving any components with beryllium copper. Virtually ALL the common salts of beryllium are HIGHLY soluble.

Beryllium hydroxide forms as a gel when hydroxide is added to the acid salt and brought to near neutral pH. It dissolves both in strong acids and strong alkali. It changes form into a rhombic molecular configuration, which precipitates.

But, BeO is a very stable compound. It will only dissolve in concentrated HOT sulfuric acid mixed with ammonium sulfate. Nothing will happen to it in HCl, HNO3, or AR.
Berryllium

Beryllium in nitric tend to precipitate. While the nitric solution grinding metals, it gains pH. At pH 4 Be start converting to hydroxide and at pH 6 all the Be become hydroxide. A nice graph of this phenomenon is available for your inspection at Wikipedia of Beryllium (edited out: "nitrate").

You may as well tweaking pH by diluting your solution with water. Be(OH)2 is insoluble so it will percipitate, clobbering your precious gold with a white powder. Typically BeCu spring connector are made with 2%-3% Be and the gold coating is less than 1%. So with nitric, in the end you will get much more Be as compared to Au at the bottom of your beaker.

Edit: Be pH-hydroxide chart in Wiki is under Beryllium entry.

Last edited:
Berryllium

Beryllium in nitric tend to precipitate. While the nitric solution grinding metals, it gains pH. At pH 4 Be start converting to hydroxide and at pH 6 all the Be become hydroxide. A nice graph of this phenomenon is available for your inspection at Wikipedia of Beryllium nitrate.

You may as well tweaking pH by diluting your solution with water. Be(OH)2 is insoluble so it will percipitate, clobbering your precious gold with a white powder. Typically BeCu spring connector are made with 2%-3% Be and the gold coating is less than 1%. So with nitric, in the end you will get much more Be as compared to Au at the bottom of your beaker.
Why use expensive Nitric when you can use cheap HCl, then filter the Gold out.
Then you will have to safety treat the Be bearing solution for waste and safe disposal.

Latest posts

Back